Student Accessibility Services - STUDENT ACCESSIBILITY SPECIALIST
Vacancy ID S2331 Job Title STUDENT ACCESSIBILITY SPECIALIST Department Student Accessibility Services School/Parent Organization Center for Academic Advancement Parent Org Division Provost and Academic Affairs Division Employment Category Fulltime-Regular Anticipated start date 10/01/2018 If temporary, expected end date Hours per week 37.5 Weeks Per Year 52.20 Normal Start Time 08:30 Normal End Time 17:00 Position/Job Summary
Provide assistance in the coordination and provision of services for all students with disabilities to include review, evaluation, and interpretation of documentation and the creation of accommodation plans for registered students with physical, learning and psychological disabilities. Serve as a resource for students and families and meet with and assist students regarding their accommodation, academic performance, registration, and referrals to appropriate resources. Serve as a liaison to faculty members, psychologists, and service providers on campus and in the Ithaca community and makes appropriate referrals as necessary. Assist in identifying need and resources and in the development of new programs to meet the needs of students with disabilities. Some evening and weekend responsibilities are required.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES: Duties may include, but are not limited to the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Assist in the coordination of services for all students with disabilities to include review, evaluation, and interpretation of documentation and the creation of accommodation plans for registered students with physical, learning and psychological disabilities.
2. Meet with students registered with Student Accessibility Services (SAS)regarding their accommodation, academic performance, etc.
3. Maintain student records, and paperwork related to accommodations. Serve as a resource to students and parents regarding SAS.
4. Meet with parents and visitors to describe the services provided by the office. Assist students in crisis, or with medical problems, to access appropriate resources. Meet with students and families during college events including evening and weekend events.
5. Serve as a liaison to students, parents, psychologists, and service providers on campus and in the Ithaca community and makes appropriate referrals as necessary.
6. Serve as a liaison to faculty and staff. Create collaborative relationships with other departments and make referrals to other resources as necessary.
7. Interface with parents regarding concerns their student may have about academic and social issues on campus. Serves as a liaison between the faculty and parents regarding disability related concerns.
8. Assess SAS and campus needs/resources in development of new programs and technology to meet those needs.
9. Assess and develop new programs for incoming students and families.
10. Participate in staff meetings and professional development activities.
11. Assist in ensuring confidentiality and security of office facilities and records.
12. Serve as a proctor to read, scribe or monitor exams.
13. Coordinate with the adaptive technology specialist to provide adaptive technology to obtain materials in alternate format as required for students.
Master's Degree in Education, Counseling, Social Work or related field and a minimum of 3 years experience working with persons with disabilities in an educational or community setting. Proven ability to assess learning disabilities and create accommodation plans, strong written and verbal communication skills are required. Previous experience working with an on-line student information system in a college or university setting is preferred.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
Instructions for submitting your application:
Interested applicants must apply online at http://ithaca.edu/jobs/ and attach a resume and cover letter. Questions about online application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (607) 274-8000. Screening of applications will begin immediately.
Work authorization (select one): Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position Department description College Description
At Ithaca College, a comprehensive residential campus community of 6,500 students, we strive to be at the forefront of the higher education landscape. We offer a distinct integrative learning experience that makes students ready for the personal, professional, and global challenges of our age.
We seek candidates who embrace integrative learning and want to be a part of this exciting time in Ithaca College history. We encourage creative collaboration and innovation in our faculty and staff, providing support and resources for them to grow in their fields and lead students to their own innovative ideas and achievements.
We welcome different ways of thinking and look for candidates with unique points of view and life experiences. We are inclusive of individuals with a wide range of cultural, personal, and professional backgrounds, talents, and skills. Our campus is a vibrant and rewarding community where diverse minds can learn, succeed, and excel.
When reviewing candidates, we are looking for indicators of a number of core competencies. Prospective candidates must be adaptable, collaborative, inclusive, respectful, responsive, results driven, and sustainable. They must communicate effectively, demonstrate leadership, exhibit professional integrity and ethics, take initiative, value personal and professional development, and show that they will engage in the college.
Nestled in the heart of New York State's scenic Finger Lakes region, Ithaca College sits atop South Hill overlooking picturesque Cayuga Lake and is just minutes away from the city center. Combining small town warmth and charm with the vibrancy of a college community, the thriving and culturally diverse city of Ithaca has been rated by Kiplinger's as one of the top 10 places to live in the United States.
To learn more about Ithaca College, visit us at http://ithaca.edu
Market Hiring Range $46,000 - $54,000 FLSA Status Exempt Is this position eligible for benefits? Yes
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
- Reference List
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).