Vice President, Academic Affairs
Commensurate with education and experience (minimum salary $130,000).
Vice President, Academic Affairs
Date of Notice: September 10, 2018
Closing Date: Open until filled,
First review October 18
Position: Full-time, benefited, Administrator
Location: Greeley Campus (College-wide)
Aims Community College at a Glance:
Aims Community College is locally governed by a five member elected Board of Trustees, locally funded, and is a progressive community college with centralized administrative services located on the Greeley Campus, which supports three additional locations. Situated on the front range of the Colorado Rockies, serving over 8000 learners annually, Aims Community College prepares students for success in more than 200 degree and certificate programs. Aims is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission through the Open Pathways model. Our wonderful staff, faculty, and administration work as a team to ensure excellent service. This commitment was recognized by The Denver Post and Monster Jobs as the "Best Place to Work" in 2018!
Purpose: Build a Stronger Community
Vision: First Choice - The Recognized Leader in Learning and Student Success
Mission: Provide knowledge and skills to advance quality of life, economic vitality, and overall success of the diverse communities we serve.
2018-2023 Strategic Directions:
Empower Students to Succeed
Enhance Operational Performance
Enrich Northern Colorado Economic Development
As the chief learning officer of a comprehensive, multi-location community college, the Vice President for Academic Affairs (VPAA) provides leadership and demonstrates a commitment to teaching excellence, student learning, and workforce development. Reporting to the CEO/President and in partnership with a committed, professional team of administrators, the VPAA facilitates collaboration throughout the college community to enhance student access, achievement, retention, and completion. The VPAA is the key individual responsible for developing and implementing both near-term and long-term plans for the instructional departments. Additionally, this individual will coordinate, define, and communicate integrated plans for the growth and development in all instructional areas. The position will have close day-to-day interaction with CEO/President's Cabinet colleagues, deans and directors of instructional programs, assessment and institutional research. The VPAA will accomplish this work with logic and ethics, passion and creativity, patience, and a sense of humor.
1. Demonstrate ability to collaborate as team member of CEO/President's Cabinet, institutional departments and divisions. Provide leadership in interpretation of college policies and procedures. Demonstrate ability to serve in a leadership capacity requiring contact with state, federal, local agencies, and personnel which involves diverse and complex problem solving.
2. Develop and implement educational activities both strategic and operational, including collaborating with Institutional Research to create metrics to track and evaluate progress. Oversee academic priorities established through the strategic planning process. Assess quality of program operations. Modify existing program services or create new program offerings to maintain or enhance program standing. Facilitate changes in academic programming, processes, and procedures. Set and communicate program priorities and performance standards and assess operations using these criteria. Provide for academic program quality assurance reviews and address areas in need of attention. Determine program sunset and processes involved with such sunsets.
3. Monitor attrition analysis and assists with campus issues relating to student success. Collaborate with college constituents on strategies to achieve desired organizational results in areas of student access, retention, completion and satisfactory student progress. Provide leadership for institutional committees and task forces impacting academic affairs.
4. Provide supervision and mentoring for Assistant Vice President for Academic Affairs, Dean of Allied Health and Wellness, Dean of Arts and Sciences, Dean of Business and Technology, and Dean of Public Safety, Transportation and Workforce Development.
5. Develop and manage budgets for academic programs and support areas as defined for the division.
6. Oversee all vocational credentialing and serve as the Vocational Credentialing Officer. Oversee all accreditation credentialing for the College.
7. Provide leadership in curriculum matters, course scheduling, catalog development, classroom management techniques, and alignment of curriculum with state requirements.
8. Review academic components on institutional contracts. Lead college efforts in assessment of student learning.
9. Oversee training of Academic Deans and Directors. Demonstrate leadership in and a commitment to conflict resolution in employee and student conflicts.
10. Oversee compliance with academic components of accreditation; participate in legislation review affecting instruction and state academic groups; and assure compliance with degree and certificate requirements.
11. Demonstrate an operational involvement with the accreditation policies and processes at the college. Demonstrate leadership in and a commitment to collaborations such as concurrent enrollment, articulation agreements, business and industry partnerships, including partnerships with K-12 and other higher education institutions. Provide academic leadership for internal and external academic compliances matters (program accreditation, articulation, 2-year schedule, catalog, insurance, and service area clearance).
12. Provide leadership for academic support areas: Career and Technical Education Office, Pre-college Pathways, Workforce Development, Concurrent Enrollment, Library Services, Tutoring, Grants, Supplemental Instruction, Learning Resources, Faculty Teaching and Learning Center, and Assessment of Student Learning.
13. Provide advice and support for faculty consultation.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
• Demonstrated experience in applying technological solutions to enhance teaching, learning and student support.
• Use of business intelligence to drive performance, efficiency, and agility.
• Promote the use of open education resources and artificial intelligence to improve student learning productivity.
• Ability to orchestrate distributed leadership and leverage talent within and outside of the College to achieve mission and goals.
• Practiced in interest-based versus position-based negotiation/communication.
• Visionary and strategic in promoting excellence in teaching and learning.
• Experience working with a variety of boards, agencies, politics, and personalities.
• Ability to communicate expectations and goals clearly.
• Economic and workforce development experience.
• Experience leading, supervising and managing dynamic teams.
• Experience with the accreditation process, program review, and assessment of student learning.
• Exhibits systems thinking, flexibility, and ability to transfer executive level skill set to varying initiatives.
• Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects to completion.
• Facilitate organizational development and change with effective collaboration of participants.
• Continuously monitor changes in regulations, policies and technology related to the area of management.
• Knowledge of data analytics and application of information to assist in data-informed decision-making.
• Creative mindset and forward thinking, staying current in community college best practices and strategies for transformation.
1. Real world thinker with a broad, forward-thinking perspective.
2. Thoughtful risk-taker/problem-solver.
3. Collaborative, creative thinker, open to new ideas.
4. An authentic personality who is approachable and honest.
5. A trustworthy, team-player who has high integrity.
1. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
2. Doctorate or terminal degree from an accredited institution.
3. Five (5) years of executive-level leadership and supervisory experience in higher education and/or other relevant public sector organization related to the duties, roles and responsibilities outlined in this Profile.
4. Previous experience must include a successful record of overseeing multiple departments/divisions, budgets, personnel, and other appropriate administrative duties.
5. Higher education experience.
6. Valid driver's license.
Ideal Characteristics and Experience:
1. Demonstrates passion for student success and the community college mission.
2. Successful experience working in a diverse and multicultural community.
3. Advocate for inclusion and student equity.
4. Successful experience with participatory leadership.
5. Commitment to transparency, integrity, collaboration, communication, and ethical behavior.
6. Superb interpersonal skills, ability to listen, collaborate and inspire others to come together in order to achieve common goals.
7. Experience reporting directly to a CEO/President and supporting/communicating directly with a Governing Board/Board of Trustees.
8. Experience collaborating with Student Affairs and Administrative Services, Institutional Research, Legal Counsel, Community and College Relations, etc.
9. Instructional/Faculty experience (preferred).
10. Experience working with a multi-location institution or related environment (preferred).
11. Community college experience (preferred).
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Initial review date October 18, 2018
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS AND INFORMATION
• The Application is the only document that will be utilized to determine if minimum qualifications, as outlined in the job posting, have been met. The Application is considered to be the legal document on file; resumes will not be reviewed for minimum qualification requirements.
• Clearly document job duties performed that relate to responsibilities, qualifications, and essential job duties in the "Work Experience" section on the application. We must be able to evaluate your experience based on this information.
• Clearly outline dates of employment and hours worked per week or credit hours worked per term for each employment experience listed in the Work Experience section of the Application so that we can calculate full-time experience.
• If an Application is considered "Incomplete", the application will be removed from consideration for the position.
• An Application is incomplete if no current/ previous employment is included in the Work Experience section of the Application.
• An Application is incomplete if "see resume" (or something similar) is noted, or previous employment does not contain job duties for every position in the Work Experience section of the Application.
• When a resume is listed as a required document, it may be used in the comparative analysis/ evaluation process to determine the candidates that most closely meet the qualifications of the position. This process occurs after an application has passed the minimum qualifications screening. **Please see the "Required Documents" section of the posting.
• Resumes will not be accepted in place of a complete application; however, resumes may still be required as a component of complete application materials.
Valid Driver's License
Equal Opportunity Employer
Notice: Aims Community College is an equal opportunity employer. Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination based on age, sex, sexual orientation, race, religion, national origin, marital status or disability. The goal of Aims is to enhance the diversity present in the district we serve. To comply with Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, if hired you will be required to provide documents within 3 days of hire date to show your identity and your authorization to work. This law applies to all persons hired.
Screening/Selection: All applicants may apply on line at jobs.aims.edu. If you need assistance with this process please contact Human Resources.
Initial screening will be conducted by a committee based on completed application materials.
Please be prepared to submit the following if required:
• Cover Letter addressing qualifications relative to position requirements,
• Diversity Statement (your personal statement on diversity),
• Teaching Philosophy (for faculty positions only) and,
• Transcripts (if applicable). Official transcripts will be required if hired.
o Faculty: Applicants must submit academic transcripts from an accredited institution. Applicants who have degrees from outside of the United States must request a credential evaluation of their transcript. National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (www.naces.org) or Association of International Credential Evaluators (www.aice-eval.org) lists members who may be contacted for assistance in evaluating foreign credentials.
All application materials become the property of Aims Community College. All application materials must be submitted by the closing date posted. The screening committee will select finalists for interviews.
Quicklink for Posting http://jobs.aims.edu/postings/3645
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * The application instructions and information section on the application states that you must clearly document job duties performed that relate to minimum qualifications, etc. in the "Work Experience" section on the application. Please acknowledge that you have read and understand what is expected and that the initial review of applications will focus only on what is listed in the Work Experience section and not other required documents such as your resume.
- Yes, I meet the minimum qualifications and have documented this in the Work Experience section.
- No, I do not meet all of the minimum qualifications however I have documented my experience in the Work Experience section.
- * What is the highest level of education attained?
- High School Diploma
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- Professional Degree
- * For recruitment statistics, please list where you found this job posting.
- Aims Website
- Internal Posting
- Personal Referral
- HigherEdjobs - Diversity and Inclusion
- Denver Post
- Greeley Tribune
- Local Newspaper Ad
- ACCT Executive Search
- Weld County Employment Service
- Other Source
- Cover Letter
- Copy of Transcripts
- Diversity Statement
- Curriculum Vitae
- Other Document
- Teaching Philosophy
- Management/Supervision Philosophy