Administrative Assistant, Department of Economics
Posting Date July 12, 2018
Position Title Administrative Assistant, Department of Economics
Vacancy # V-1503
Department School of Business
Division Academic Affairs
The Administrative Assistant provides administrative support to the Economics Department, and to incoming and current students by answering student inquiries, scheduling appointments and meetings, processing invoices, ensuring payments are made in a timely manner, manage customer service issues smoothly and in a timely manner. Also provides support and departmental communication to department full-time and part-time faculty.
Assist with the following in the Department office:
- Answer and manage all incoming calls.
- Schedule appointments for students with faculty.
- Welcome office visitors (students, faculty, and external visitors), and assist by answering questions and providing information about the programs. Ifneeded, schedule a follow-up appointment with an advisor or the department chair.
- Schedule meetings, book rooms, and catering as required.
- Manage all purchases of supplies and equipment, for the department including, vendor management, invoice payment, budget transfers, and other related expenses through FMS. Track ordered supplies.
- Troubleshoot facilities and equipment issues. Order and manage catering for department events.
- Facilitate travel authorization for faculty and follow-up for reimbursement.
- Manage the generic department email accounts, and answer questions for incoming and current students.
- Facilitate course evaluation process for full and part time faculty.
- Facilitate student registration and, assistance during department meetings and events. Attend training in the new university systems and procedures.
- Create and update student surveys, credit adjustments, and change of major/minor requests. Track and update all adjunct faculty, student, and peer evaluations.
- Manage process for department faculty searches, new hires, promotion and tenure Manage onboarding process for full time and adjunct faculty
- Interface with the School of Business internal staff at all levels.
- Record, transcribe, and distribute agenda and minutes of all department meetings. Supervise, coach, and train department student assistant.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The above statement reflects the general duties considered necessary to perform the principal functions of the job, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS :
- Three years' experience providing high level support preferred.
- Must be customer service oriented and a team player to both internal and external constituents.
- Proficient computer skills and in-depth knowledge of relevant software such as MS Office Suite.
- Knowledge of standard office administrative practices and procedures.
- Knowledge and experience with Banner and Financial Management System (FMS) are preferred.
- Bachelors degree is strongly preferred.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION