7 Columbia Circle, Albany, New York 12203
Closing Date: August 9, 2018
Excelsior College, a regionally accredited, virtual, private, nonprofit institution of higher learning is seeking dynamic applicants for the position of Staff Accountant, within the Fiscal Office.
The Staff Accountant will apply generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) to ensure proper financial reporting. This position reports to the Accounting Manager and will be part of a team of staff accountants. This is a full-time position based in 7 Columbia Circle, Albany, NY 12203.
- Perform routine accounting duties, including preparation of journal entries.
- Monitor, audit and reconcile general ledger accounts monthly and resolve discrepancies.
- Perform accounting functions for banking activities and reconciliations.
- Perform accounting functions for investment and endowment activities.
- Perform accounting functions for fixed assets, including capital projects and depreciation.
- Assist in the reporting and monitoring of private, state, and federal grant expenditures; review the grant proposal and assist with the budget preparation, advise and interpret research funding awards, monitor accounting and procurement of expenditures consistent with regulatory and College practices, and assist in the preparation of reports to federal and sponsoring agencies.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly and annual financial statements for Management and the Board of Trustees.
- Assist in year-end audit activities, including preparation of audit schedules, with the College's external auditors.
- Draft and revise policies and procedures to ensure maintenance of strong internal controls.
- Assist in the preparation of various tax documents, including the Form 990.
- Assist in the review, analysis and interpretation of changing federal and state regulations to ensure compliance in all areas of financial reporting.
- Assist in various projects requiring accounting or tax research.
- Assist in the compilation of financial data and submission of required documentation to federal agencies on quarterly and annual basis.
- Coordinate payables and/or receivables in association with contract compliance.
- Assist other department staff with revenue and expense classification and other accounting related inquiries.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting required
- Proficiency in GAAP financial reporting.
- High level of proficiency utilizing computer based applications including Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Effective interpersonal and business communication skills to provide quality staff/customer service.
- Strong problem solving skills
- Strong attention to detail and high degree of accuracy required.
If you have problems with online submission, please call 518-464-8532. Thank you.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information atjobs.excelsior.edu/apply-ultipro: