Dean - College of Sciences
Auburn University at Montgomery is a SACSCOC-accredited, comprehensive public university in Alabama whose mission is to provide quality and diverse educational opportunities at the undergraduate and graduate levels through use of traditional and electronic delivery systems, and to foster and support an environment conducive to teaching, research, scholarship, and collaboration with government agencies, the community, and other educational institutions. AUM is ranked among the South's top universities by U.S. News and World Report and was named one of the best colleges in the Southeast by The Princeton Review.
AUM offers its more than 5,000 students 90-plus fields of study at both the graduate and undergraduate levels within the colleges of: Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, Business, Education, Nursing and Health Sciences, and Sciences. As well there is a joint doctoral program with the main campus of Auburn University; a Doctor of Nursing Practice starting in Fall 2019; and several unique programs, unavailable anywhere else in the region, including Geographic Information Systems, Hospitality and Tourism, Homeland Security, and Cybersystems and Information Security. AUM’s dedicated 350 part- and full-time faculty members are distinguished academics and practitioners in their fields, committed to educating, developing and inspiring students. The student-to-faculty ratio is 15:1.
AUM not only recognizes and values individuality, but is committed to cultivating an environment that fosters respect and dignity for all. In alignment with the AUM strategic plan and the University’s core values, AUM promotes and embraces diversity in key areas, with a goal of:
- Creating and fostering an inclusive atmosphere that is supportive of all students, faculty, and staff
- Creating opportunities that allow students, faculty, and staff to gain an awareness and appreciation of diversity
- Enhancing integration of international students into the AUM student body
- Developing strategies that strengthen interactions between domestic and international students and staff
- Creating programming to enhance understanding and promote awareness of diversity and inclusion
- Recruiting and retaining diverse faculty whose collective talents will enhance the quality of teaching and contribute to scholarly productivity AUM, which is governed by the Auburn Board of Trustees, is designated as a Military Friendly School and is consistently chosen as the best university in the area.
To learn more about Auburn University at Montgomery, visit http://www.aum.edu/.
About the Position
The College of Sciences at Auburn University at Montgomery (AUM) invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean beginning January 2019.
The Dean serves as the chief academic and administrative officer of the College and reports directly to the Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor at AUM.
The ideal candidate is an innovative, energetic individual, with demonstrated leadership skills, a terminal degree, and record of scholarly work sufficient to qualify for tenure in the College at the rank of Professor in one of the College's four departments: Biology and Environmental Science, Chemistry, Mathematics and Computer Science, and Psychology. Familiarity with all the disciplines in the College of Sciences is required.
- Proven record of envisioning, developing and sustaining innovative programs that foster excellence in teaching, research and service
- Demonstrated capacity to stimulate growth in recruitment and retention of students
- Understanding of the future trajectory of academia as it pertains to the departments within the College
- Strong commitment to undergraduate and graduate education with an emphasis on excellence in teaching, research and scholarship
- Strong commitment to fostering leadership development within the College while upholding the vision and mission of the University
- Demonstrated ability to identify, recruit and retain strong faculty
- Demonstrated ability to connect the College with important areas of opportunity within the University
- Ability to effectively collaborate and communicate with multiple constituencies and enable partnerships with other colleges and universities, government agencies, stakeholders and corporations
- Track record of successful fundraising with a talent for identifying and cultivating entrepreneurial opportunities
- Experience and efficiency in managing a large or multi-faceted budget
- Demonstrated record of commitment to the diversity of students, faculty and staff and to advancing an inclusive climate that stimulates excellence
- Strong communication skills with a commitment to openness, collaboration and shared decision-making
The College of Sciences, which is one of the two new colleges at AUM for the academic year 2018-19, offers students a scientific education designed to meet the needs of the 21st century, allowing them to compete for a variety of careers in leading fields and industries in an increasingly complex, evolving world. The College, one of AUM’s most comprehensive and diverse academic units in terms of its inventory of degree offerings, aims to teach, educate, and engage students in order to help them address the issues that matter on a daily basis and change lives forever. The Office of the Dean is committed to meeting the needs of students and to promoting a learning environment that inspires and enables students to reach their full potential and academic goals.
The College of Sciences Dean supervises the departments of Biology and Environmental Science (Biology, Environmental Science, Geographic Information Systems); Chemistry (Chemistry); Mathematics and Computer Science (Mathematics, Computer Science and Cyber Security, Computer Science); and Psychology (Psychology), with approximately 54 full-time faculty, 42 adjunct faculty and 1,091 students, Master’s degrees are offered in Psychology, Computer Science, Cybersystems and Information Security, and Geographic Information Systems. Recently, Auburn University at Montgomery and the world-renowned Organization for Tropical Studies partnered to provide students with semester-long study abroad programs in Costa Rica and South Africa. AUM will offer five programs in collaboration with OTS, and the Dean of COS will play a role in this partnership.
To view the complete position profile, go to https://www.highereducationleadershipsearch.com/searches/.
To apply for this position, visit https://www.highereducationleadershipsearch.com/candidate-portal-form.
To nominate someone for this position, e-mail: [email protected]
Larry Benefield, Ph.D. will be assisting the University with the search. If you have questions or would like to have a confidential conversation about the position, call 256-239-2305 or e-mail [email protected] Auburn University at Montgomery is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to excellence through diversity and encourages applications from historically underrepresented groups, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Candidates for this position will be considered through Oct. 5, 2018