Director of Residence Life
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION
Under the administrative direction of the Vice President for Student Affairs, the Director of Residence Life oversees a broad scope of responsibilities that include managing, training, and supervising staff; administering sound fiscal management; and leading a team that provides oversight of a complex residence life program.
The Director fosters strong, collaborative relationships with campus partners, provides direction for the development and implementation of policies and procedures, and fosters an environment conducive to student success.
The Director of Residence Life position is a full-time, 12-month, live-off position with shared on-call responsibilities. The Director will be required to live within 30 minutes of either residence hall.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage a comprehensive residence life program housing approximately 750 students in two residence halls.
- Oversee the departmental operating budget.
- Responsible for the recruitment, selection, professional development, and evaluation of the Assistant Director of Residence Life, four Residence Directors, a Residence Life Coordinator, and twenty-four Resident Advisors.
- Ensure the security and safety of students and exercise appropriate procedures for crisis and risk management.
- Coordinate educational programming efforts to foster student development and success in the residential community.
- Identify and implement best practices in student development to create engaging living communities.
- Responds to residence hall and student emergencies as needed and serve in the on-call duty rotation with the Assistant Director of Residence Life.
- Serve on Students of Concern and Emergency Response Teams.
- Oversee all aspects of residential conduct.
- Resolve conflicts related to housing issues.
- Produce effective departmental publications and communication through various platforms.
- Ensure effective management of all facilities within the residence life program and assist the Vice President for Student Affairs with projects related to facility development.
- Work closely with partners to support the summer housing/conference program.
- Participate on divisional and college-wide committees.
- Other duties as assigned by the Vice President for Student Affairs.
Education and Experience:
Master’s degree in Student Personnel Administration, Higher Education, Counseling and Development or related field is required. Other requirements include: a minimum of five to seven years of progressive responsibility within a comprehensive residence life program in a higher education setting, including staff supervision, budget management and operations.
The successful candidate will provide demonstrated evidence of:
- An understanding of student development needs and issues related to administering a residential life program at a small, urban, liberal arts college.
- Insight and specific experience related to: student and community development, cultural diversity, academic support programs, student judicial systems administration, residence hall student governance, crisis intervention and management, program assessment, mediation, and successful resolution of student and parent conflicts.
- The ability to establish and maintain effective interpersonal relations, both within the MMC community and with college partners.
- Collaborative approach to work while coordinating and leading staff.
- Supporting student-centered learning.
- Ability to balance student needs in relation to department and college goals.
- Being a self-starter who can participate effectively in strategic planning.
- Ability to creatively solve problems.
- Stellar customer service.
- Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills including ability to prioritize and manage multiple and competing priorities.
- Supporting the mission and values of the institution.
Marymount Manhattan College is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.