Responsible for the operation of Public Safety communications equipment to facilitate officer patrol and response to incidents in the field. Duties include the operation of a police radio base station and a Georgia Crime Information Center (GCIC) terminal; assisting walkup customers; answering emergency and administrative telephones; performing data entry of incident information; entering information on daily logs; receiving and relaying emergency messages from students, staff and faculty; other related duties as assigned. Position is responsible for the operation of public safety communications equipment to facilitate police officer patrols and response to incidents in the field. Duties include the operation of a multi-line telephone to answer emergency and administrative calls, use a two-way radio console and Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) System to dispatch officers and maintain officer initiated functions, use the Georgia Crime Information Center (GCIC) terminal and several other computer programs such as LiveSafe to support field operations, monitor fire alarm and video surveillance systems, receive and relay emergency and non-emergency voice and text messages from students, staff and faculty, contact other KSU operations and other agencies for support as needed. This is a regular, part-time position working approximately 20-25 hours per week.
- Effectively communicate with the general public and representatives of other public safety agencies in coordinating activities and resolving problems;
- Serves as a Campus Security Authority as defined by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act);
- May also be required to successfully complete other public safety communications training courses and webinars.
- Must pass a detailed background investigation; and be a proficient typist.
- Must become certified by GCIC as full terminal operators on the (CJIS) Criminal Justice Information System network within six months of their employment date
- Must be able to become a POST certified Basic Communication Officer within one year of their date of employment
- Must be willing to work night and weekend shifts
- Knowledge of standard Public Safety Tele-communication practices and proven aptitude and compatibility through testing required.
- Excellent customer service based skills, to include ability to communicate effectively and efficiently both orally and in writing;
- Committed to and demonstrate successful engagement of the community oriented policing philosophy;
- Proficiency in widely used and contemporary computer based applications during emergency and non-emergency situations.