Mayborn Sch of Journal-Gen - 138000
Is this an internal posting only?
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. usually with variable after hours responsibilities
The Frank W. and Sue Mayborn School of Journalism's goal is to prepare students with ethical values leading them toward the many different facets of journalism or related fields.
North Texas Daily is the student newspaper for the University of North Texas. It is published each Thursday during the fall and spring semesters, except university holidays and exam periods. North Texas Daily, a nonprofit newspaper, provides information, commentary, and entertainment for UNT and North Texas communities. At North Texas Daily we strive to promote a quality, real-world experience for students within the business and journalism community.
A digital-first publication, we are growing our reach through multimedia and include NTDaily news, NTDaily TV, as well as NTDaily Radio.
North Texas Daily's mission is to create a professional business atmosphere where students can experience and learn the ethics, challenges, and professionalism of the business community along with the ideas, tools, and solutions needed to meet the challenges they will encounter in future careers.
We accomplish this by providing training and consultation during the course of the student's tenure while working at North Texas Daily. We encourage our student staff to make their own decisions in solving the everyday business, personnel, customer service and production problems they incur. We are primarily student managed and encourage an engaging environment where students learn by doing and by working together as a team to make decisions from the newsroom to the marketing consultants and in between.
The Mayborn School of Journal-Gen Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Advertising Specialist to join our team. Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Developing and implementing strategic marketing plans and sales plans to achieve necessary revenue projections.
* Build and maintain relationships with campus and community partners to generate opportunities for student media.
* Monitor all marketing consultant activities through the CRM software and assist in coaching the students toward success.
* Attend necessary training to stay up-to-date for marketing, sales, advertising, and public relations techniques.
* Assist the director in maintaining a team environment for all student media within MSOJ. Provide coaching and positive influence necessary to push each student to his or her full potential.
* Proof digital advertising dummies for each publication to ensure all ad copy is correct and each advertisement running has been paid for.
* Other duties as assigned.
Additional knowledge, skills, and abilities:
* Ability to effectively manage time and projects.
* Ability to integrate and analyze information and develop reports.
* Ability to compose effective and professional communiques for both internal and external target markets and present information publicly.
* Ability to investigate problems and troubleshoot solutions.
* Proficiency in computer skills, including MS Office and student information systems.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess the following required qualifications:
Bachelor's degree in related field, and two years of experience in communications, marketing, advertising, public relations; or any equivalent combination of experience, education, and training. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Strong skills in communication, customer service, organization and analysis.
* Ability to work well with others and to multitask in a deadline-driven environment.
* Ability to define problems, collect data, draw conclusions and present findings to clients and internal stakeholders.
* Ability to assume accountability for completing assignments accurately and in a timely manner.
* Competency in MS Office and requisite publishing, graphic design and media tools.
* Ability to use Associated Press style.
* Strong communications skills.
* Ability to conceptualize, plan and organize multiple programs and assignments effectively.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Familiarity with UNT systems and policies.
* Strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
* Strong communication, critical thinking and leadership skills.
* Ability to work effectively with diverse populations, verbally and in writing.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Quicklink for Posting