Job ID: 24639
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 0820
Department: ES Tech Impl & Comm
Classification: Graphic Designer II
Salary Range: $3,717/month - $6,340/month
FLSA status: Non - Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Under limited supervision of the Director of Enrollment Services Technology Implementation and Communications (ESTIC), the Graphic Designer makes recommendations and develops the direction and unit-wide adoption of Enrollment Services identity. The Graphic Designer is responsible for the artistic concept and graphic design expertise in the creation of print, electronic, and multimedia materials, and use of both design and production elements to organize ideas visually to convey the desired impact and message to the target audience. Central to this work are the universitys enrollment, retention, and graduation efforts as well as the communication of process from recruitment to enrollment.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Serves as team member responsible for design aspects for elements of the strategic communication plan for Enrollment Services.
- Maintains a graphics and photographic library and maintains digital records.
- Selects and purchases graphic, photographic and printing materials and supplies.
- Provides images and logos to campus offices and departments.
- Keeps abreast of new technologies in information technology, particularly graphic design and photo imaging programs.
- Provides design expertise, creative skills, and awareness of the universitys brand identity, mission and vision.
- Serves as a key strategist and creative thinker in conceptualizing Enrollment Services communications and marketing initiatives; ensures that all design projects are integrated within the divisions brand identify. Defines design criteria, develops graphic design concepts, and presents them for review to the business user.
- Coordinates and art-directs (as needed) the services of freelance designers, photographers, illustrators, designers, student help and vendors.
- Creates concept-compositions, graphic designs, and layouts; refines final designs to meet the constraints of budgets, deadlines and client and/or management expectations.
- Prepares or directs the preparation of final design files for production.
- Identifies, selects and coordinates vendors for printing and production services, as appropriate to the project, including printers, other designers, marketing specialists and others to ensure the successful completion of projects, on times and on budget.
- Provides technical advice and guidance, and serves as liaison with production personnel, publishers, clients and others involved with the project. Participates in or directs production and/or printing and mailing on a project basis.
- Responsible for the day-to-day graphic design operations and for the execution applied to the development of communications and marketing themes and materials.
- Develops, designs, and produces a wide range of concepts and materials.
Education and Experience
Bachelors degree and/or equivalent, in graphic design, fine arts, or a related field of study and two years of full-time experience with graphic application and publishing tools required.
- Expert skills and knowledge in graphic design practice, including project planning, art direction, layout, prepress production, ink and paper selection, digital and offset printing, etc. Expert in knowledge of visual design theory including: composition, color, hierarchy, and typography.
- Advanced proficiency with InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator is required.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of specialized, multi-faceted design theory, processes and media.
- Strong art direction, project planning, and project management skills.
- Strong consultative and persuasive skills in presenting branding and design concepts to clients and partners.
- Knowledge of knowledge of copyright laws applicable to design work and creative properties.
- Thorough understanding of printing and other vendor services to prepare specifications for printing and other services.
- Art direction, project planning, and management skills.
- Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, and HTML.
- Ability to create complementary print and online materials.
- Ability to conceptualize and execute integrated print and web elements of hybrid projects.
- Ability to collaborate with other designers and creative team members.
- Ability to compose and appropriate format correspondence and reports.
- Ability to serve as a key contributor on a university communications and marketing team.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail- and deadline-oriented environment.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Ability to create complementary print and online materials.
- Ability to use and maintain current with applicable computer software packages and systems.
July 11, 2018
Application Screening begins August 3, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046