Hyde Park Campus
20113 Neuroscience Institute
About the Unit
The University of Chicago Neuroscience Institute is the intellectual home for a diverse group of scholars and scientists working together to advance our understanding of the brain. Faculty members from Neurobiology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Genetics, Molecular Biology, Psychology, Neurology, Psychiatry, Statistics and many other related departments work together to explore how the human brain and our social and physical environments interact. The Neuroscience Institute was established to represent the collective interests of the entire neuroscience community. It is in a unique position to support cutting edge technology that will create opportunities for scientists to transform and revolutionize our understanding of the human brain. The Institute is actively engaged in various activities such as organizing seminar series, administering to the neuroscience undergraduate major, managing various collaborative events and maintaining support for all of neuroscience across the University of Chicago.
We seek a self-driven and responsible individual who enjoys building skills on the job while working in a fast paced, multi-faceted Institute. Under general direction from the Neuroscience Institute's Director and Executive Administrator, the individual will perform complex and diverse administrative duties in support of the day-to-day operations of the Institute and its initiatives.
The Neuroscience Institute was established to serve Neuroscience throughout the University of Chicago and its affiliates by representing the collective interests of the community. It is in a unique position to support undergraduate education, cutting edge technology and facilitate collaborations that will create opportunities for scientists to transform and revolutionize our understanding of the human brain. The hiring unit is actively engaged in various activities such as organizing seminars, administering to the neuroscience major, managing various collaborative events and maintaining support for all of neuroscience.
This organization is a fast-paced, multifaceted unit that requires a strong ability to multitask. Time management and prioritization of tasks are essential for the organization and execution of the various events, programs and initiatives that run simultaneously. The candidate will establish strong working relationships within administrative and academic units across University Divisions.
- Monitor the day to day operations of the Neuroscience Institute and ensures that the office reception area is maintained
- Maintain supply inventory and ensure all materials are stocked
- Collect and disseminate Institute mail and package deliveries
- Answer emails sent to Institute accounts
- Coordinate event schedules, conference room scheduling and management (configuring room based on event type, provide A/V support), order and set up catering, organize transportation for guests, and provide coordination assistance on day of event
- Schedule appointments, meetings, and room reservations
- Maintain all Institute mailing lists
- Assist in faculty membership and student tracking and information
- Create travel dossiers and on-campus itineraries
- Coordinate media efforts (create, print and disseminate flyers and posters)
- Catalog and pay all invoices and reimbursements; Enter expenses into accounting spreadsheets
- Update and maintain web page content using various sources of information and maintain Social Media presence for events, announcements and opportunities
- Solicit updates and publications from Institute faculty members, graduate students and post-doctoral fellows
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Communication skills (oral and written)
- Takes initiative
- Problem solving
Education, Experience, or Competencies:
- High school diploma required
- At least 1 year of office experience required
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required
- Adobe Suite experience required
- Website management experience preferred
- Cover Letter
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application
Depends on Qualifications
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
The University of Chicago is an urban research university that has driven new ways of thinking since 1890. Our commitment to free and open inquiry draws inspired scholars to our global campuses, where ideas are born that challenge and change the world.
We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of original ideas. Students in the College develop critical, analytic, and writing skills in our rigorous, interdisciplinary core curriculum. Through graduate programs, students test their ideas with UChicago scholars, and become the next generation of leaders in academia, industry, nonprofits, and government.
To learn more about the university click here http://www.uchicago.edu/