Associate Director of Procurement Services, Goods and Services
Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date July 10, 2018
Position Title Associate Director of Procurement Services, Goods and Services
Vacancy # N/A
Department Treasury and Finance
Division Treasury And Finance
Reporting to the Director of Procurement Services, the Associate Director provides high-level managerial and administrative support for all phases of the University's procurement process for goods and services, for a public university with annual outlays totaling more than $350 million. In the absence of the Director of Procurement Services, Goods and Services the Associate Director serves as the leader of this department.
* Supervise and guide the buying staff in the planning, coordination, and administration of each procurement process, beginning with the identification of need and continuing through the bidding, evaluation, selection, award, and contracting process. This includes the following:
- Establishing appropriate criteria to evaluate and monitor performance
- Identifying vendors to include in the procurement selection process
- Conducting site visits to prospective and current vendors as appropriate
- Preparing and issuing bid documents and analysis to ensure that the outcome of the selection process is in the best interest of the University, and in compliance with University, local, state, and federal requirements.
- Ensuring compliance with EEO requirements, and promoting diversity among suppliers to the University.
- Working with University counsel to structure and process agreements and contracts in accordance with University procedures.
- Preserving and archiving related documentation as required or appropriate
* Contributes to the formulation of all purchasing office policies, procedures, and related forms; revise them as needed or required, publishes them for the benefit of internal users and vendors, and educates/trains staff who are involved in the procurement process.
* Interprets university policies and applicable state laws to determine appropriate methods of goods and services procurement (DPA, Publicly bid RFP, Waiver of Advertising RFP, RFQ, State Contract, GSA, or approved cooperative contract).
* Responsible for the purchase of assigned commodities within the e-Procurement System which includes the following:
- Reviews purchase requisitions for completeness and compliance with Procurement Policies and Procedures. Specifically, checks for adequate and accurate descriptions, specifications, required quotes, and consults with departments if further information is required. In addition, responsible for investigating and resolving issues or concerns with orders. All unresolved issues are then communicated to the Director.
- Performs spend analysis for the various assigned commodities through the use of e-Procurement reports to prepare recommendations for future cost saving opportunities. Also, confer with University departments to review their existing and anticipated requirements.
- In depth knowledge of assigned commodities. Interviews sales persons, attends vendor fairs and conducts site visits.
* Responsible for more complex public bids: Manages the RFP, RFI, or RFQ process.
- Review and revise specifications which are developed by requesting departments for compliance with the State College Contracts Law. Additionally, when requested, assist in the development of specifications for goods and services.
- Prepares the required bid documents for the solicitation of bids as assigned by the Director. In addition, develops bid schedules and conduct pre-bid meetings.
- Reviews and analyzes technical information accompanying bids to determine specification compliance. Participates as a voting member of the technical evaluation committee. Upon completion of the bid analysis presents a recommendation to award to the Associate Director.
- Drafts the necessary agreements and follows through to contract execution.
* Supervises the Supplier Create Manager in the administration of the State of New Jersey's mandated requirements for a Business Registration Certificates, Chapter 51 Political Disclosure and Affirmative Action compliance. Provides reports when required. Remains informed about existing and new or emerging compliance requirements. Provides assistance when required.
* Supervises the University wide purchasing card program. In collaboration with the Purchasing Card Administrator, create and carry out policies and procedures, review University spend history, provide reports to Senior Management.
* Manages the administrative operations of the Procurement Services Department including: record keeping, retention of contracts, reviews regular reports to track the pipeline of projects that are out to bid, and other reports and analytics to measure productivity, effectiveness of purchasing, and level of customer service.
* Supervises the Procurement Staff of approximately eight (8) people. Perform performance evaluations, provide guidance and counsel staff. In conjunction with the Director approve personnel actions, hiring and disciplinary action in compliance with University policies and procedures. In addition, supervise the Supplier Create Group in the absence of the Supplier Create Manager.
* Coordinates the Contract Approval Process between University departments, University Counsel and the Procurement Services Department to ensure all contracts for goods and services meet the Procurement policies and procedures.
* Maintains a working knowledge of goods and services required for University operations including (as examples) supplies, equipment, technology services and products, furnishings, food and catering, consultants, and financial services.
* Supervises the quarterly close of requisitions and purchase orders issued through the PeopleSoft E-Procurement system. In addition, conduct an audit of purchase orders to ensure they have been issued in compliance with the Procurement policies and procedures.
* Assists in the preparation of reports, approval requests, and other documents for the board of trustees, as required.
* Participates in departmental-wide projects and initiatives, including those involving training, user education, team-building, and professional development. When required provides assistance to the Director of Capital Procurement.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in business or a related field.
- Knowledge of competitive bidding process in the public sector environment,
- At least eight (8) years of procurement experience with a minimum of three (3) years supervisory experience.
- Overall knowledge of the procurement of goods and services (i.e.: office supplies, information technology, and professional services).
- Strong technology skills, which includes deep knowledge of enterprise systems including a sophisticated procurement module, such as PeopleSoft, Workday or SAP. In addition, strong spreadsheet and database skills.
- A commitment to the principles and practices of continuous improvement. An analytical approach identifying opportunities and barriers, but also a creative and pragmatic approach to develop solutions.
- Excellent written, oral, interpersonal communications and management skills.
- Knowledge of relevant budgeting, accounting, and internal control principles and techniques.
- Master's degree preferred.
- Experience in a New Jersey public entity preferred.
- Five (5) years supervisory experience is preferred, including hiring, training, mentoring, and evaluating staff, preferably in a comparably large, complex, and fast paced procurement operation.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION