Info Assurance Analyst 2
Working under minimal supervision, works with the Information Security Team to protect the confidentiality and integrity of customer, employee, and business information in compliance with organization policies and standards. Activities include performing daily security operational tasks including but not limited to security monitoring, administering user accounts, responding to help desk tickets, and delivery of basic security awareness training to individuals and small groups.
- Operate security tools and services to detect, protect, and defend the IT enterprise. (20%)
- Perform risk assessments and analysis on system and organizational levels, including administrative, technical, and physical controls. Write security planning materials, including risk mitigation plans, disaster recovery plans, and provides inputs on business continuity plans. (12%)
- Consult with departments on security setup, products, services, and/or procedures to mitigate security risk. (10%)
- Report incidents, and take immediate action to mitigate adverse impacts. Act with discretion when in support of investigations. (10%)
- Serve as an incident-response team member. Respond to security incidents and events. Investigate and resolve incidents, executes action plans, communicates with end-users or other impacted parties. Takes lead on group-level investigation tasks. (10%)
- Collect, analyze, correlate, and report on pertinent security metrics. (8%)
- Perform identity-based security functions supporting the user identity lifecycle including creation, removal, and update of user account information. (8%)
- Provide Tier 2 customer support from Help Desk calls for security-related matters. (7%)
- Assist the security team in the continuous review, evaluation, and rollout of security tools and security administration tools. Assist in planning and performing system risk assessments, including administrative, technical, physical controls reviews of new and existing IT infrastructure and facilities. (5%)
- Serve as a resource person in assessing systems, processes, and projects against compliance requirements, control objectives, and security best practices; interact with internal and external technical staff and consults with project teams at various stages of project cycles. (5%)
- Create and deliver security technical and procedural training to campus-wide audiences for information security awareness events and programs to ensure alignment of policy and practice of security among stakeholders. (4%)
- Perform other duties as assigned. (1%)
Department: Regular contact with supervisor to review goals, achievements and overall performance. Daily contact with UTech managers and staff to address issues and opportunities collaboratively and to resolve any outstanding issues or challenges. Frequent contact with all other UTech staff to facilitate and promote joint action and cooperation to achieve results.
University: Daily contact with faculty, staff, undergraduate, graduate and professional students to effectively understand and define internal customer requirements as they relate to assigned duties.
External: Regular contact with vendor partners to manage the execution of tasks, coordinate efforts and learn about new capabilities. Occasional contact with peer institutions regarding best practices.
Students: Daily contact to effectively understand and define internal customer requirements as they relate to assigned duties. Regular contact with UTech student employees.
May supervise student employees.
Education and Experience: Associate’s degree and 5 years of progressive experience in a dedicated information security function or responsibility. OR a Bachelor’s degree in an IT related field and 3 to 5 years of progressive experience preferably in an IT-focused field or industry. The position requires the attainment and maintenance of Information Assurance certification appropriate to the position within 2 years of hire, if not currently certified (SANS GIAC, CISSP, Security+, or equivalent). Prefer Six-Sigma Green belt certification. Prefer relevant technology-based certification such as CISCO CCNA or CCNP, Microsoft, Apple, RedHat. Must successfully complete a criminal background check.
- Exposure to information technology concepts such as applications, security systems design, implementation and administration required.
- Demonstrated understanding of system administration and network configuration for Microsoft Windows, Mac OX, or UNIX/LINUX systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of security concepts including malware, intrusion detection, risk analysis, threat/vulnerability management, system hardening, and business continuity.
- Demonstrated knowledge with information security risk assessment and management processes and standards.
- Demonstrated working knowledge in at least three of the following infrastructure security concepts: Incident response practices, Data encryption technologies and standards (email, transit, file, etc.), Data loss protection systems and tools, Endpoint security software management, Firewalls and firewall techniques, Vulnerability management, Computer forensics practices, and Virtual private networking.
- Understanding of network protocols.
- Demonstrated ability to optimize time and resources, prioritize task, and ensure that deadlines are met. Ability to work independently on projects and achieve project objectives.
- Ability to work in a team environment, being able to play the roles of team leader and team player as required. Ability to actively listen, responsive to verbal and non-verbal clues.
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills demonstrated while communicating with diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated superior interpersonal skills, conflict resolution and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to identity problems, analyze courses of action, and propose solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully handle sensitive discussions with discretion, strong personal ethics commitment, and demonstrated sound judgment.
- Consistently models high standards of honesty, openness, and respect for the individual. Experience working with diverse populations.
- Ability to meet consistent attendance.
- Ability to interact with colleagues, supervisors, and customers face to face.
- Prefer familiarity with project management approaches, tools and phases of the project lifecycle.
- Prefer familiarity with current office software such as Microsoft Office, Open Office, and Google Apps.
- Prefer experience with commercial or open source security tools.
- Prefer intermediate knowledge of security processes and procedures relating to security compliance or controls management frameworks.
- Prefer experience with server administration for Microsoft, Mac OX, or UNIX/LINUX systems.
- Prefer understanding of various security and regulatory compliance standards, such as FERPA, HIPAA, FISMA, and PCI.
- Prefer data forensics and collection technologies, disk imaging, chain of custody records, handling sensitive information.
Professional office setting. The position is required to be available to respond to emergency security issues and incidents on a 24/7/365 basis. On-call status and some off-hours work effort required. The employee will be required are to carry a cell phone, during and after their normal work hours, including weekends to attend to after-hours emergencies. There may be occasional pressure from demanding customers. Due to time constraints, many functions must be completed on set deadlines. Travel between various locations on campus may be required. The position requires typing on a computer keyboard and using a computer mouse and a printer. Office attire includes business casual dress.