The College of Engineering at Bucknell University is now accepting applications for a full-time Computing Systems and Laboratory Specialist. The Computing Systems and Laboratory Specialist is responsible for advanced technical support of the laboratory functions and activities in academic programs and research activities in the College and for providing computing support and guidance to both the College of Engineering (primary) and the Library and Information Technology (L&IT) division (secondary). This role is further responsible for coordinating renovations to laboratory and laboratory-based classroom spaces. This is a full-time, exempt, benefits eligible position.
• Provide advanced technical support for laboratory activities and experiments for undergraduate and graduate courses, and for laboratory-based research, development, and senior design projects.
• Work with L&IT to plan replacements and new computer systems for computer laboratory engineering buildings and the computer center. Consult with faculty members regarding the purchase of laboratory computer and data acquisition systems.
• Provide technical support for computer-based data acquisition and control systems. Support legacy and new computer platforms, operating systems, networking protocols (serial and high-speed) and network infrastructure. As needed, design and fabricate such systems dedicated to specific projects or needs.
• In coordination with lab directors, design and assist in the construction of new experiments and/or improvements to existing experiments. Consult with students regarding experimental design, data collection techniques, electronic transducer selection, and computer data acquisition techniques. As needed, design and construct experiments for use as classroom demonstrations.
• Stay well-informed regarding current hardware and software products for computing with an emphasis on laboratory computing.
• Identifies and reviews faculty needs for improvements and upgrades including maintenance in consultation with college's laboratory managers.
• Coordinate shared laboratory space in the College of Engineering. Work closely with the College of Engineering staff and faculty to ensure effective and efficient use of these spaces and improve the overall use of the College's facilities.
• Oversee and coordinate the College's safety program and goals. Ensures the efficient, safe use of space and facilities across the College. Serve as the College's liaison to Environmental Health & Safety and assist with coordinating and providing appropriate training.
• Assist engineering departments and Office of Facilities in planning and implementation of the design of engineering facilities including instructional and research laboratories in order to maximize the use of available space and improve efficiency and safety.
• Work with academic departments, EESL, PDL, and campus maker spaces on the planning for the annual capital budget process. Research production/processing equipment or fixtures for purchase and gather data relating to their ability to meet organizational needs and provide equipment and facilities needs recommendations of equipment and facilities for approval.
• Direct, guide and anticipate issues regarding facilities management of the College. Reviews data, analyzes, and provides recommendations related to space utilization and allocation.
• Represent the College throughout the planning, construction, and turnover of all newly built or renovated space. Work with Facilities on the planning for, construction period, and coordination of all moving related to construction/renovation projects within the College.
• Bachelor's degree in STEM field with four years of directly related experience.
• Experience with experimental measurement, the design of laboratory experiments, and computing applications in laboratories and laboratory-based projects.
• Knowledge of safety processes and regulations with an awareness of building codes.
• An ability to work collaboratively and effectively with students, faculty, and staff.
• An ability to work independently as well as a member of multiple teams.
• An ability to prioritize effectively in a position requiring frequent multi-tasking.
• Ability to work with others on a team to accomplish goals.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, maintain detailed and accurate records, and prepare clear and concise written reports.
• Experience with IT network design & AV design.
• Experience with supporting Labview, Matlab, Solidworks, and the Arduino IDE.
• Understanding of VLANs, subnets, firewalls, and WLANs as well as Windows network administration.
• Knowledge of architectural designs, building codes, construction/project management principles.
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 50 majors and 60 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell's 3,600 undergraduate and 100 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors.Bucknell's beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its students. Residential life is vibrant with about 150 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletic teams, a robust arts culture, and a strong student commitment to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Located in central Pennsylvania, Lewisburg features a variety of restaurants, beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), charming shops and boutiques, and the Barnes and Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. About 33,000 residents live in the region.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University's main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania's state capital. Bucknell is about three hours from New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.The cost of living here is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell's surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and many opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School is consistently ranked among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.