Director for Human Resources - Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs (100991)
Director for Human Resources
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is seeking nominations and applications for the position of Director for Human Resources in Student Affairs. Reporting to the Sr. Executive Director for Administrative Services, this position will serve as the college level chief HR Officer to provide leadership in developing and implementing human resources strategies to support Student Affairs' mission in workforce management and professional development.
Major duties of this position include the following:
- Lead overall coordination of human resources operations for Student Affairs' 15 major units at college level. Establish and implement comprehensive division wide HR programs and initiatives that attract and retain talents to support Student Affairs' mission and long-term success.
- Advise Vice Chancellor, Student Affairs Leadership Team, and department heads of compliance-related activities under the ADA, FMLA, FLSA, and other federal and state labor laws and University policies.
- Initiate and conduct a variety of organizational studies and benchmarks on HR policies and programs.
- Develop people analytics to measure the effectiveness of HR services and offer recommendation on improvement in HR activities. Prepare reports to drive HR decision making.
- Lead the Student Affairs HR Council to ensure consistent administering of HR policies and practices.
- Supervise staff by providing day-to-day direction, work assignments, and evaluating work performance.
- Serve as college EEO Officer to ensure all aspects of the employment and compensation are fair, unbiased, and in compliance with Affirmation Action and Equal Opportunity laws. Chair Student Affairs' EEO Committee.
- Serve as a liaison between Student Affairs and campus HR Offices on all HR matters, including employment acquisition, employee relations, benefits, compensation, HRIS, and organizational development, to ensure alignment with practices at the University.
- Provide support to staff and offer interpretation of HR policies, job duties, work conditions, wages and salary, and employee benefits; provide employee counseling on personnel matters; facilitate conflict resolution.
- Lead the Professional Development Committee to identify, develop, and conduct employee development programs. Advise staff on career growth opportunities.
- Represent Student Affairs on campus committees, and task forces related to human resources matters, as appointed.
- A minimum of 7 years' experience with five years of progressive leadership experience in Human Resources area.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically to address emerging trends and issues in talent management while providing direction on day-to-day HR practices for a large and complex organization is essential.
- Experience supervising staff and overseeing a team.
- Proven ability to foster teamwork, cooperation, consensus, and build positive and effective relationships across the organization at all levels.
- Demonstrated experience effectively working with a diverse staff, student body, and public is essential.
- Demonstrated technical proficiency with HRIS.
- Demonstrates a strong ethical conduct and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to foster the learning and development of others, access staff strengths and areas of development, and provide appropriate feedback and avenues for developmental activities.
Appointment Status: This is a 12-month, full-time Academic Professional position.
Salary: Salary is commensurate with experience and includes an excellent benefits package.
Proposed Starting Date: As soon as possible.
Application Deadline: September 28, 2018
For full consideration, create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload pdf versions of a cover letter of application, a resume, and the names, addresses, email addresses, and phone numbers of three professional references by September 28, 2018. Interviews may be conducted before the closing date, although no hiring decisions will be made until after the search has closed.
For additional information regarding the application procedures, please contact:
Office of Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
Phone: (217) 333-1300
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Student Affairs
Title: Director for Human Resources - Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs (100991)
Open Date: 09/05/2018
Close Date: 09/28/2018
Organization Name: OVCSA-Administration