Database Developer and Administrator (Research Assistant 3)
Job Title: Database Developer and Administrator (Research Assistant 3)
Job ID: 2019075
Location: Storrs Campus
The Connecticut Transportation Safety Research Center (CTSRC) at the University of Connecticut operates within the School of Engineering. CTSRC is looking for a database developer and administrator to assist in the development of enterprise software for transportation systems in the state of Connecticut. This position will work closely with the Connecticut Department of Transportation to develop applications to query, visualize and analyze transportation related crashes or assets.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
- Confers with program director and project manager to resolve questions of program and project intent; output requirements; input data acquisition; extent of automatic programming and coding use and modification; and, inclusion of internal checks and controls.
- Contribute as a productive member of an agile development team
- Analyze, design and implement business requirements
- Design and implementation of data models
- Integrating and testing with back end services and databases
- Assist in development and testing of software APIs
- Assist in development and testing of user interfaces
- Profiling and optimizing system performance
- Document all database tasks and procedures
- Perform routine database maintenance
- Assist in developing web applications based on users' needs
- Write effective and well-documented database code
- Maintain and support application database as requirement evolves
- Work with other developers, database administrators, and project managers in a fast moving development environment
- Assist in transforming user requirements into highly functional user interfaces
- Understand and implement security and data protection
- Performs related duties as required.
- B.A. or B.S. and four to five years of post-degree experience or an M.A. or M.S. and two to four years of post-degree experience.
- Experience with SQL and database management.
- Evidence of ability to independently analyze and translate assigned database tasks into operating data models and prepare detailed database procedure and documentation.
- Ability in analytical reasoning and logical problem solving.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Self-motivated and eager to learn new database, GIS, and programming skills.
- Proficient in SQL
- Two or more years' experience working in a team of developers to build an enterprise application.
- Experience with Geospatial Information Systems (GIS) integration and development.
This is a full-time 11 month position based on available funding and subject to annual renewal. Salary will be commensurate with successful candidate's background and experience. Screening of applications will begin immediately. The University offers a competitive salary and outstanding medical and retirement benefits, including employee tuition reimbursement and dependent child tuition waivers at the University of Connecticut.
Please apply online using UConn Jobs: http://www.jobs.uconn.edu, Staff Positions, to upload a letter of interest, resume, and a list of three professional references. Correspondence may be addressed to Eric Jackson at [email protected].
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search # 2019075)
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on September 20, 2018.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics, which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty, and staff. The diversity of students, faculty, and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University's teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn's ranking as one of the nation's top research universities. UConn's faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural, and diverse community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities, and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.