Assistant Director of Admissions
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF ADMISSIONS
The Assistant Director serves as a primary contact person for prospective students, applicants, and newly admitted students based upon their geographical territory. The Assistant Director is responsible for managing an assigned territory for identifying prospective students who meet or exceed the College’s admission requirements, recruiting these students and their families, and making admissions selection decisions from that territory. Such effort includes extensive fall and spring travel. The Assistant Director will also guide New First-Time prospective students and their parents through the application process. Furthermore, the Assistant Director will develop and/or manage the recruitment of transfer and non-traditional students. This professional will build relationships with prospective transfer and non-traditional students, as well as other higher education institutions, to attract students well-suited to Spelman College. Experience working with transfer students, non-traditional, and adult students will be viewed favorably, as well as knowledge of admissions practices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The Assistant Director will coordinate the planning and implementation of the admission recruitment, application and yield activities for the assigned territory.
- Manage the department’s social media campaign using Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook platforms.
- Create and develop the communication plan to prospects, admits and enrolled students. This will include implementing marketing strategies, strategic use of recruitment publications, recruitment travel, analyzing and collecting data on territories managed.
- Conducts campus tours, formal presentations and information sessions on and off campus.
- Conducts interviews of admission candidates and evaluates applicant credentials in recruitment territory.
- In addition, will assist in evaluating major (feeder) recruitment territories.
- Coordinates and/or assists as well as participate in a variety of campus programs and special events for prospective students and their families.
- The Assistant Director will assist with activities related to telemarketing and tele-counseling.
- The Assistant Director will assist the operations staff with workload during peak periods.
- Develop and/or manage the recruitment of transfer and non-traditional students
- Participate in professional development as related to admissions and professional organizations.
- Assist with special projects as assigned by the Director or Associate Director.
Education and or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university is required. Advanced degree preferred. Must have at least one (1) year of related work experience preferably in an admissions office. Two or more years preferred. Must have demonstrated experience in implementing programs, workshops and strong organizational skills with a strong emphasis on detail and follow up on assignments. Experience recruiting and understanding the needs and admissions process for transfer students is preferred. Must be assertive and be able to work independently while meeting the goals of the office. Must be high energy and enthusiastic, extremely flexible and willing to work extended hours and weekends.
Incumbent must possess excellent oral communication skills with the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from prospective students and parents, high school counselors, the Spelman community, and the general public which may include public/group speaking engagements. This position requires the ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business and professional journals. The duties also require the ability to write reports and business correspondence.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have intermediate skills using Microsoft Office Suite, including the preparation of mail merges, flyers, and spreadsheets. Using formulas and creating forms are also important. Incumbent must have excellent typing skills.
Spelman College is an EOE/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Title IX Employer and we participate in E-Verify.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Qualified individuals are encouraged to visit our website and apply via our online application: www.spelman.edu. Please submit a cover letter with your submission. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package and a campus environment filled with unique opportunities and experiences.