ASL Interpreter - Part-time
Lynn University is an independent, innovative college based in warm, sunny Boca Raton, Florida. We're consistently recognized by The Chronicle of Higher Education as a "Great College to Work For" in such areas as compensation and benefits; work/life balance; job satisfaction; and respect and appreciation.
Our nearly 3,000 students hail from approximately 100 countries and nearly all 50 states, making Lynn one of the top five most international schools for our size. Our campus is a melting pot of cultures and beliefs, and we pride ourselves on our ability to embrace new ideas.
As a Lynn employee, you'll be free to think differently. You'll enjoy on-campus events and workshops that aim to reduce stress and celebrate community. And most importantly, you'll be doing your part to build a better future.
Lynn is currently accepting applications for the part-time ASL Interpreter position. The ASL Interpreter accurately and effectively communicates information through sign language interpretation/transliteration, between students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing (Deaf/HH) and other individuals who use spoken communication in a variety of educational settings.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Correctly spells and explains with fingerspelling and signs all important vocabulary terms presented by instructor. When appropriate, accompanies signing with voiceless speech and transliteration.
- Fluently and accurately interprets a medium-paced classroom lecture at a language level most suitable for the student who is Deaf/HH.
- Fluently and accurately voices for the student who is Deaf/HH. Secures and reviews class materials in advance to enhance learning opportunities. Seeks clarification from main instructor on any concepts, information, or ambiguous terminology. Collaborates on interpreting and tutoring approaches. Provides interpreting services for extracurricular activities. Manages and/or assists with environmental/circumstantial factors such as lighting, seating arrangements, auditory needs, visual accessibility, and amplification.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Must have a one year certificate from a college or technical school.
- Must have one of the following: Interpreter Training Program (ITP); OR Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment (EIPA) 3.0 credential; OR National Interpreter Certification.
- Must have a minimum of one (1) year of experience interpreting within the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.
- Accreditation and equal opportunity Lynn University is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, pregnancy or parenting status, veteran status, retirement status, or any other characteristic protected by law. In accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Lynn University does not discriminate on the basis of sex. Inquiries concerning the application of the non-discrimination policy may be directed to the University Compliance Officer/Title IX Coordinator at 3601 N. Military Trail, Boca Raton, FL 33431; via email at email@example.com; by phone at +1 561-237-7727 or to the U.S. Dept. of Education OCR.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website. https://www.applicantpro.com/j/868226-38095