Working Title: Lab Specialist
Position Type: University Operational and Administrative Staff
Department: Department of Pediatrics
Posting Date: 09-04-2018
The Department of Pediatrics at the University of Virginia is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Laboratory Specialist. The Laboratory Specialist will be expected to participate in all phases of laboratory research while investigating the interaction of intestinal bacterial pathogens with host cells in vitro and in vivo. The incumbent is involved in the design of experiments, and responsible for completion of projects assigned under supervision of the principal investigator. Responsibilities may also include planning experiments, analysis of data, and providing input into the interpretation of data. The incumbent assists in preparation of research protocols and manuscripts, planning sequence of experiments, discussing detailed information regarding laboratory experiments, data entry and viewing of data analysis, monitoring of equipment in laboratory, maintaining sample database, ordering reagents and supplies, and general organization of the laboratory.
A Bachelors degree and at least 3 years of laboratory experience in molecular and cellular biology and immunology are required. Experience, gained as a student will be considered. A Masters degree is preferred and may substitute for experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to resolve problems.
2. Ability to work accurately with attention to detail.
3. Knowledge of general laboratory procedures and equipment.
4. Ability to analyze and organize work procedures.
5. Ability to demonstrate excellent oral and written communication in daily interactions.
6. Ability to work with small animals (mice) in experiments.
7. Ability to plan and independently conduct laboratory experiments.
8. Ability to modify and develop lab procedures.
9. Ability to accurately interpret, report and present findings.
10. Skilled in preparation of tissue specimens, staining and interpretation of results.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=85405