Executive Sous Chef, Marketplace
Coordinates and oversees production and service of individual dining unit. Acts as a working chef in regards to day-to-day operations: hands-on production, administrative functions, and the supervision of staff.
ESSENTIAL AND RELATED FUNCTIONS:
- Develops and upgrades task lists for full-time/part-time production staff.
- Follows and enforce guidelines, policies, and procedures as set forth by department/unit. Ensures compliance with dress code and personal hygiene standard for dining staff. Complies with all Virginia Health Dept. policies regarding staff.
- Develops routine cleaning schedules for kitchen staff. Maintains daily inspection of cleanliness of facility.
- Helps conducts routine staff meetings to keep employees updated on departmental/unit issues.
- Portrays a positive attitude and encourage a team-work environment. Interacts with all other departments.
- Develops employee schedules within approved labor budget. Monitors scheduling of staff and keeps overtime within budget.
- Assists Marketplace Chef/Production Manager in developing Student Board, Catering, and Special Program menus.
- Responsible for basic operational needs in absence of unit manager.
- Performs quality inspection of meals on a daily basis, ensuring proper tastes and presentation. Performs pre-meal line check for every service shift, coordinating with all shift employees to communicate and check each dish.
- Achieves budgeted food, beverage, and labor costs. Strives to grow revenue through innovative menu development.
- Supervises all aspects of meal preparation, service, and cleanup for unit. Ensures that all production reports are followed.
- Daily recipe maintenance.
- Works with Receiving Clerk/Production staff in the ordering of food supplies for unit. Oversees the purchases of food and equipment for unit. Ensures proper equipment operation/maintenance.
- Works with production staff to utilize leftover products properly, controls waste.
- Takes weekly inventory and submits it to business office in accordance with accounting timelines.
- Uses recipe management software system to create, modify, and maintain recipes and menu items. Records service actuals to ensure portions are recorded and related to attendance.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Associates or Bachelors degree in related field preferred. 1-3 years of supervisory experience in hospitality industry, experience in college board/catering, or related experience highly preferable. Excellent interpersonal skills and effective written and oral communication skills are required. Must be able to work “flex” schedule based on department calendar. Strong leadership by example, as a working chef. Must portray attention to detail, exceptional time-management skills, be a strong communicator, and have the ability to maintain confidentiality. Database management, thorough knowledge of MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) are expected. Must actively use and maintain voice mail and e-mail.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Washington and Lee is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As such, we are interested in candidates who are committed to high standards of scholarship, performance and professionalism and to the development of a campus climate that supports equality and diversity in our faculty, staff and student body. Job description requirements are representative, but not all‐inclusive of the knowledge, skill, and abilities needed to successfully perform this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Statement of Commitment to Diversity
Washington and Lee affirms that diverse perspectives and backgrounds enhance our community. We are committed to the recruitment, enrichment, and retention of students, faculty, and staff who embody many experiences, cultures, points of view, interests, and identities. As engaged citizens in a global and diverse society, we seek to advance a positive learning and working environment for all through open and substantive dialogue.