Specialist - Advisor-Fixed Term
Financial Markets Institute DirectorPosition Summary
The Eli Broad College of Business seeks a talented individual to serve as the director of the Financial Markets Institute, a privately funded entity within the college. The position will be responsible for setting the strategic direction of the FMI together with college administration, the FMI Advisory Board, and the FMI’s Academic Director.
- Coordinate with the FMI Academic Director, FMI Advisory Board and college administration in regularly evaluating and setting the strategic direction of the institute based on changing industry trends, student interests, etc. Share responsibility with the FMI Academic Director in implementing strategic changes.
- Build the pipeline of students with interest in the FMI by conversing with college and high school students, MSU admissions advisors, Honors College and Broad College academic and career advisors, college faculty and staff, etc.
- Manage the new scholar application process to include marketing activities, evaluating applicants, and orienting admitted candidates.
- Augment the professional development of FMI scholars to include career advising within financial services, resume reviews, mock interviews, job offer selection, support for scholarships and industry events, and references for campus-based and industry employment.
- Organize financial money center trips, engagement with financial services alumni on campus, scholar participation in off-site financial services competitions, etc.
- Handle all institute promotional activities including website content creation and maintenance as well as engagement with the Broad College Marketing & Communications team to advance FMI activities and achievements.
- Engage with financial services alumni, including former scholars, serving as a resource for job searches and business development opportunities, graduate school and employment references and letters of recommendation, and the alumni-scholar mentoring program, as examples.
- Serve as the primary resource for the FMI Advisory Board to include bylaw creation, new member pipeline-building, cultivation of current members, board meeting management, etc.
- Collaborate with Broad College Development and Alumni Relations in fundraising for the endowments and steward all donors.
- Manage all financial matters of the institute including budgeting, contracts, scholarship and bill payments.
- Participate on college-wide and university committees and in campus activities as appropriate as an ambassador of the institute and college.
Masters -MBA, Finance or AccountingMinimum Requirements
- An MBA or other masters degree with demonstrated knowledge of basic finance and accounting.
- Three years or more of financial services industry experience strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated interest and ability to build and maintain relationships with internal and external constituents including students, alumni and employers.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Previous experience in student or client advising.
- Prior involvement with advisory board management.
- Volunteer-based fundraising experience.
- Experience in creating a budget and monitoring expenses accordingly.
Letter of InterestSpecial Instructions
References available upon request.
Review of applications begins on September 28, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled.Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.