Vice Chancellor for Business and Administrative Services
University of California, Riverside
Vice Chancellor for Business and Administrative Services
The University of California, Riverside (UCR) invites nominations, expressions of interest, and applications for the position of Vice Chancellor for Business and Administrative Services (VC-BAS).
Located on nearly 1,200 scenic acres in Inland Southern California and distinguished by more than 60 years of high-impact research, UCR is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities. One of the prestigious 10 campuses within the University of California system, UCR is one of the most ethnically diverse and inclusive research universities in the nation. The University graduates more low-income (Pell-eligible) students than any other major university in the United States. UCR ranks among the top 15 public universities in the nation (Washington Monthly, 2018) by positively impacting the country through civic engagement, social mobility, and research. UCR holds the distinction of being both a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) and an Asian-American, Native American, and Pacific Islander Serving Institution (AANAPISI). Moreover, the Education Trust has recognized UCR as a national leader for African American and Latino student success.
UCR’s three colleges offer a wide range of academic and research subjects: The Marlan and Rosemary Bourns College of Engineering; The College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences; and the College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences. In addition, UCR’s four professional schools include: School of Business, Graduate School of Education, School of Medicine, and School of Public Policy, as well as 23 interdisciplinary research centers. Currently home to approximately 23,000 students, 1,100 institutional faculty, and 3,000 staff, UCR serves as an incubator of new knowledge, an engine of social mobility, and an economic powerhouse. As a member of the University Innovation Alliance, UCR ensures access, opportunity, and achievement for exceptional students from underrepresented communities.
UCR is within easy driving distance of dozens of major cultural and recreations sites, as well as desert, mountain, and coastal destinations. For more information about the University, please visit https://www.ucr.edu/.
The Division of Business and Administrative Services
The Division is comprised of a diverse workforce of about 550 staff employees, including managerial, professional, administrative, service, and technical staff and 1,120 student employees. With an operating budget of approximately $137 million, the Division includes the following units:
- Business and Financial Services: Financial control and accountability, payroll services, accounting services, and student business services, including the main cashier’s office, as well as procurement services, accounts payable and business contracts.
- Human Resources: Employee and organizational development, compensation and benefits, workplace health and wellness, employee and labor relations, talent acquisition and diversity outreach, and equal employment and affirmative action.
- Auxiliary Services: Housing and dining services, early childhood services, bookstore, and campus business support services, including printing and reprographics, shipping/receiving, mail services, sale of excess property, storehouse, and UCR’s Card Office, as well as transportation, parking, and fleet services.
- Enterprise Risk Management: Environmental health and safety, emergency management and continuity planning, risk management and workers compensation claims, and the police department.
- Vice Chancellor’s Immediate Office: Organizational accountability, strategic planning and operational excellence, organizational budget and financial management, organizational human resources functions, R’ Shared Services Center management, administrative policy development, Vice Chancellor’s office operations.
Reporting directly to the Chancellor, the Vice Chancellor for Business and Administrative Services (VC-BAS) ensures UCR’s enterprise-wide business units optimally support UCR’s trifold mission of teaching, research, and public service. Under the direction of the Chancellor and the Provost, and in close partnership with UCR’s deans and vice chancellors, the VC-BAS develops and executes comprehensive strategic and tactical plans relating to campus business operations. In leading the BAS Division, the Vice Chancellor will be responsible for directing and guiding a diverse range of administrative departments while engaging in senior management strategic planning processes as a member of the Chancellor’s executive leadership team. These strategic and tactical plans include innovative business processes and approaches that encompass emerging, collaborative, and federated service delivery paradigms, including the innovative use of information technology. The Vice Chancellor will provide leadership and vision to ensure effective operation of the Division’s various units and liaises with the UC Office of the President (UCOP) on all matters related to the Division. The VC-BAS also serves as a Co-Lead for UCPath Implementation and Future Operating Model (a new system-wide HR and payroll system), as the campus’ Cyber Risk Executive (CRE), and oversees policy development/coordination relating to business and administrative operations.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following skills, knowledge and abilities:
- Advanced degree in business, public management, finance, or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Minimum ten years of progressive administrative management responsibility for a complex, multi-unit organization, reporting directly to senior/executive management, and preferably in a higher educational setting and in a union environment;
- Demonstrated ability to align operating/support units (e.g., business and financial services, human resources) to optimally support delivery of an organization’s core mission;
- Demonstrated record of accomplishment in advocating and incorporating the policy and program needs of a complex, multi-unit organization into the broader organization-wide/corporate-wide plans and programs;
- Demonstrated organizational, administrative and project management skills to include the ability to diagnose critical areas for attention and translate strategies into action;
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse group of constituencies on all levels within the organization and without, including, city, county, state, federal agencies and community groups;
- Demonstrated strengths in interpersonal and conflict resolution skills;
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills;
- Demonstrated problem solving and decision-making skills;
- Demonstrated commitment to principles of affirmative action and diversity;
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of excellence in customer service, and a commitment to continuous improvement throughout the organization; and
- Management experience in an academic environment, including exposure to and knowledge of relevant issues related to higher education. (Preferred).
For a complete position profile and list of qualifications, please visit https://www.storbeckpimentel.com/pd/UCR/VCBAS.pdf
Application and Nomination Process
The Search Committee will begin reviewing applications immediately and continue to accept applications and nominations until the position is filled. For fullest consideration, applicant materials should be received by October 11, 2018. Applicants must submit: a current resume or curriculum vitae, a cover letter describing relevant experience and interest in the position, and a Statement of Contributions to Diversity. For more information on the Statement of Contributions to Diversity, please see http://www.ucr.edu/faculty/diversity.html.
Nomination letters should include the name, position, address and telephone number of the nominee. All applications and nominations will be handled in confidence.
Applications and letters of nomination should be submitted by email to:
Alberto Pimentel, Managing Partner
Storbeck/Pimentel & Associates
6512 Painter Avenue
Whittier, CA 90601
Email: [email protected]
Refer to code “UCR-VCBAS” in subject line
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.