Vice President for Enrollment Management
Vice President for Enrollment Management
Since 1868, Bloomfield College has stayed at the forefront of innovation in higher education, providing the tools our students need to take their place as contributing and successful members of our society…
Bloomfield College welcomes one of the most diverse student bodies in the nation, providing a personalized, yet global, experience that truly allows for bold and courageous students to find their paths. Bloomfield College is a unique institution offering students access to an affordable college education.
-President Richard A. Levao
Bloomfield College is an independent, comprehensive, liberal arts institution serving 2,000 students. Since its inception 150 years ago, Bloomfield College has provided academic access to historically underserved populations. In recent years, the College and its mission has garnered national recognition, quantifying Bloomfield College’s ability to give underserved students the resources and skills needed for future success. Located in historic Bloomfield, New Jersey, and just 15 miles from New York City, the mission of Bloomfield College is: “To prepare students to attain academic, personal and professional excellence in a multicultural and global society.” The College is deeply committed to enabling students, particularly those who have been excluded from higher education, to realize their intellectual and personal goals.
Bloomfield College seeks a Vice President for Enrollment Management with extensive recruitment experience and a sophisticated strategic and collaborative approach to prospective student outreach and marketing. The Vice President for Enrollment Management will develop and direct a team of 15 professionals who work in undergraduate admissions and marketing for the College. Working collaboratively with the Vice President for Finance and Administration, the Vice President for Enrollment Management provides oversight for Student Financial Aid, a team of five professionals. Future reporting relationships may be the subject of future discussions with the new VPEM.
The new Vice President will build on the departments’ strengths and with a data-informed approach, seek new opportunities to increase first-year and transfer student enrollment. The Vice President will be a major ally in fortifying continuing student persistence through partnerships with committed colleagues in academic affairs and student affairs.
The Vice President for Enrollment Management serves as a College Officer, directly reporting to the President. President Richard Levao has served the College passionately and with distinction since 2003. He has announced his retirement and will leave the College at the end of 2018-19 academic year. A search for his successor is underway, with an announcement of a new president expected in early 2019. Securing an effective enrollment leader is a top priority of the current president and the Board of Trustees and is seen as an essential asset for the College.
The Vice President will join with other strong and deeply committed college officers reporting to the President in leading the institution forward. The Vice President will serve as an influential and pivotal contributor to the College’s ongoing success, analyzing the landscape of higher education to best position Bloomfield in an increasingly competitive enrollment marketplace. The Vice President also will be a key partner in the assessment of programs and net revenue streams, and in exploring future viable options for the financial stability of the College and for strengthening its academic offerings.
The successful candidate will strategically develop and implement admissions and marketing plans; will collaborate with faculty, athletics, and other internal partners; will apprise the Board of Trustees on enrollment and marketing issues; and will champion the strengths, successes and vision of Bloomfield College to all internal and external constituents. In addition, the new Vice President will shape strategic thinking and assess the effectiveness of various recruitment and marketing initiatives; mentor and manage staff to fully capitalize on their strengths and abilities; lead an enrollment management committee and create an enrollment culture on campus based on transparency and partnership; and will collaborate directly with the Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students, as well as others invested in student success, to improve retention efforts for the College.
Goals and Opportunities: The Vice President for Enrollment will be tasked with accomplishing the following:
- Develop a strategic enrollment plan that includes contemporary and forward-looking approaches to enrollment planning within the context of Bloomfield’s mission of access, including identifying and capitalizing on strategic opportunities.
- Use data and analysis to inform discussions and guide decision-making while maintaining the personal touch for which Bloomfield is known.
- Continue the College’s strong commitment to identifying, attracting, and retaining a diverse student body.
- In a competitive higher education marketplace, thoroughly understand and champion Bloomfield’s distinctions.
- Engage with the board of trustees and its appropriate committees to secure their help in accomplishing Bloomfield’s enrollment goals while creating awareness of the changing higher education landscape. An emphasis on strategic approaches to student recruitment, institutional branding, communication, and student financial aid will be expected in connection with the board.
- Engage, mentor, and develop the staff within a tradition of mutual respect and cooperation while also emphasizing personal responsibility and accountability. The vice president will be both a leader and an active member of the recruitment and marketing teams.
Qualifications and Experience: The new Vice President will be expected to have the knowledge, skills, and energy to make an immediate impact upon arrival and under the guidance of a new President. Bringing new ideas for recruitment and marketing must be coupled with the ability to know and grow the existing strengths within the division, and to recognize and work toward the mission and vision of Bloomfield College that has served it so well in its first 150 years. The new Vice President is expected to possess the following qualities and experience:
- Expertise and leadership in the management of admissions, recruitment, and marketing with a record of enrollment success
- Strategic, data-driven mindset with a proven ability in assessment and attaining results
- Experience in territory development and management with a proven ability to navigate and succeed in challenging, demographic markets
- Knowledge of demographic trends and market forces shaping the college-going population
- Experience in recruiting practices for diverse populations
- Deep understanding and appreciation for inclusionary leadership
- Understanding of and value for private, liberal arts education
- Progressively increasing experience in enrollment with knowledge in all areas of recruitment, marketing and financial aid
- Experience with financial aid predictive modeling, and net tuition revenue forecasting
- Experience serving on or working with a senior leadership team
- Ability to build strong relationships across campus, and engage students, staff, faculty, coaches, parents and alumni in helping to achieve an enrollment vision; experience working with unionized faculty is a plus
- Ability to develop and refine key messaging about the College in ways that speak most clearly to prospective students and parents
- Able to establish consistency of message throughout the campus community
- Knowledge of social media tools to enhance recruiting and marketing to potential students and to complement the diversity of the entering class
- Inclusive leader who encourages a close, working relationship between admissions and financial aid and furthers the efforts of team building regardless of reporting lines
- Strong understanding of the role of technology in all areas of enrollment management
- A mentor who can effectively nurture staff while holding high standards and accountability
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree is preferred.
Bloomfield College: Since its founding in 1868, Bloomfield College has undertaken numerous transformations, from its start as the German Theological Seminary to train pastors for a growing German Presbyterian Community, to a nationally recognized, highly diverse liberal arts institution. Today’s enrollment includes a student body that is 52.7% African American and 25% Hispanic students; while over half of the student body identify themselves as first generation college students who are the first in their families to enroll in college . Rooted in humble beginnings, Bloomfield now celebrates the great legacy the first Bloomfield College community made possible. In 2017, the College began a sesquicentennial celebration that will conclude at the end of 2018, honoring its roots, celebrating the present, and looking forward. Today, the mission of Bloomfield College is to prepare students to attain academic, personal and professional excellence in a multicultural and global society.
Noted as a minority serving institution, Bloomfield is one of the 151 institutions in the country to offer the McNair Scholars Program, which gives first-generation college student the chance to engage in research with faculty mentors. The McNair Program ensures that all of its Scholars have the tools and resources necessary to pursue a doctoral degree. Bloomfield’s Honors Program provides high achieving students the opportunity to publish and present their work, and take advantage of service projects and international trips. Named as a “Beat the Odds School” by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the College was also recently recognized as one of 12 colleges in New Jersey that is a “high return on investment” institution by Affordable Colleges Online.
Since 1999, the College has made significant alterations to its physical infrastructure, including building a new Center for Technology which houses innovative programs such as animation, game design, digital video and music technology; Franklin Street Residence Hall (2014) which accommodates 234 students; Learning Resource Center, housing the Center for Innovation in Teaching to Enhance Learning and the McNair Programs among other programs and offices; Talbott Hall (2014), a library completely renovated into a new student center and dining facilities; 225 Liberty Street Dormitory, a 91-bed student apartment living; and, 23 Park Residence Hall (2016), offering 53 beds to residential students.
Bloomfield College’s 2,000 undergraduate students are offered over 50 majors and concentrations in seven academic divisions, providing many opportunities for engagement. At the undergraduate level these divisions include: business; creative arts and technology; education; humanities; natural science and mathematics; and nursing. Graduate programs include masters of science, masters of arts and post graduate certificate programs. Students can also make the most of their college careers with the help of the Center for Student Leadership & Engagement. The Leadership Development Program includes a host of workshops, leadership experiences, and overnight retreats focusing on leadership training and diversity awareness. Bloomfield students also give back, performing more than 8,000 hours of community service each year.
The Bloomfield College Bears compete in the Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference and offer six women’s and six men’s teams competing in NCAA Division II intercollegiate athletics.
Recognition: U.S. News & World Report has named Bloomfield College as the 15th most diverse national liberal arts college. Bloomfield College was also noted as one of Money Magazine’s “Best Colleges” in its annual rankings, which highlighted institutions that are giving students the best value for their money and highest return on investment. In addition, Bloomfield College holds the highest success rate among all New Jersey colleges and universities in moving students forward in economic standing, and is ranked twenty in the nation, as reported in a study, “Mobility Report Cards: The Role of Colleges in Intergenerational Mobility.” In a new report by the American Council on Education, Bloomfield is now recognized as one of only five predominantly black institutions with a “high extended mobility rate” placing Bloomfield among the nation's top colleges for helping students from low-income families enter the middle and upper class.
For more information about the College, go to https://www.bloomfield.edu/bloomfield-college.
Location: Bloomfield, New Jersey is a growing, diverse hub of Essex County offering a wide range of social events, amenities, and services to its residents. While experiencing historic growth in retail, residential and entertainment venues, this city of 48,000 residents aims to cater to persons of all ages, and to appeal to families. The 18th largest township in New Jersey, Bloomfield is a growing, suburban community with plenty of history and even a moment of "Sopranos" celebrity. With its tree lined neighborhoods and historic district, it is less than a half hour from New York City. Here are 15 Fun Things to do in Bloomfield, NJ
To Apply: Napier Executive Search is assisting Bloomfield College to find the sophisticated, strategic, and engaging enrollment expert who will serve as the Vice President for Enrollment Management. To arrange for a confidential conversation or to nominate a candidate for this position, contact Robin Reynders (email@example.com) or Mary Napier (firstname.lastname@example.org) To apply, please send a resume, a detailed letter of interest, and contact information for three professional references by email to: email@example.com. Resumes will be reviewed until the position is filled, but for assurance of full consideration, submit application materials no later than October 16, 2018. All applications and nominations will be considered confidential and notice will be given before references are contacted.
Bloomfield College is an affirmative action, equal-opportunity employer. The College is committed to achieving excellence through a diverse workplace and inclusive culture that encourages all people to reach their full potential. The College encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans, and persons with disabilities.
Apply for Vice President for Enrollment Management
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly