Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Indiana University Bloomington (IUB) seeks a collaborative, innovative, strategic, and enterprising leader to serve as the Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion of the School of Education. The IUB School of Education (SoE) consistently ranks among the top education schools in the U.S. and has developed a strong national and international reputation for academic excellence -- preparing reflective, caring, and highly skilled practitioners and scholars who inform educational theory and practice as well as effect change locally and globally. The SoE is on an exciting trajectory, developing cutting edge research, learning, and practice to improve the quality of education in K-12, higher education, and international contexts; expanding innovative initiatives to strengthen and extend global impact; and offering a premier teacher preparation program. The successful candidate will hold a tenured faculty position in a SoE academic program with the title of Professor or Associate Professor.
With over 40,000 undergraduate students and more than 10,000 students in graduate and professional programs, IUB is a member of the Association of American Universities, and is the flagship researchintensive campus of Indiana University. The SoE’s 103 faculty members offer undergraduate, graduate, and certificate program education to approximately 900 undergraduate and over 1,100 graduate students.
Reporting to the SoE Dean, the Associate Dean will lead efforts in the SoE to advance diversity, equity and inclusion in our culture, environment, programs, policies and personnel. In collaboration with multiple stakeholders, the Associate Dean will foster a supportive community that respects differences of all kinds (e.g. race, age, ethnicity, culture, (dis)ability, gender diversity, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, and religious affiliation) in all its constituents and nurtures excellence in all endeavors. A strong candidate for this position will understand and enact scholarship that organically and deeply integrates theory and practice in the areas of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Responsibilities of the Associate Dean will include:
- Providing leadership in the development of programs and policies that foster accessibility, transparency, and equity for students, faculty and staff in the SoE;
- Managing, supporting, and institutionalizing dialogues and initiatives that promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in active and proactive ways;
- Establishing, maintaining, and reporting on measures of success for such initiatives, for schoolwide practices and for recruitment and retention of a diverse community, including our faculty, students and staff;
- Engaging the SoE community in achieving and continually reviewing and refining their vision of inclusion and equity and practices associated with that vision; and
- Seeking and creating positive and productive opportunities for partnerships and relationships with internal and external constituencies to further the goals of diversity, equity and inclusion within the SoE.
- Terminal degree and a scholarly record of research that would qualify for a tenure appointment in the SoE;
- Administrative experience in an academic or related area;
- Previous experience in diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts in higher education; and
- Ability to partner and communicate with diverse constituents.
This 12-month position is expected to begin no later than July 1, 2019.
To apply for this position, upload to http://indiana.peopleadmin.com/postings/6487 a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, evidence of scholarship (e.g., 2-3 peer reviewed journal articles), and the names and contact information of three professional references. References will not be contacted without prior correspondence with the applicant. Three additional references will be requested at a later time. Review of applications will begin October 15, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled.
For questions regarding this position, please contact the chair of the search committee, Dr. Jessica Nina Lester, at [email protected]
The faculty of Indiana University is committed to achieving excellence through cultural and ethnic diversity. The University actively encourages applications and nominations of women, persons of color, applicants with disabilities, and members of other under-represented groups.
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status.