Instructor of History & Political Science (Spring '19 Tenure Track)
Posting Number: 0601395
Position Title: Instructor of History & Political Science (Spring '19 Tenure Track)
Posting Start Date: 08-27-2018
Posting End Date: Open Until Filled
Position Status: Regular
Bargaining Unit: ECCFA
Employee Group: Faculty/Instructors
Salary Grade: Commensurate with Education/Experience
Salary Information: Commensurate with Education/Experience
Exempt or Non-Exempt: Exempt
Grant Funded: No
Location: Main Campus
Flexible work schedule specifics: Must be willing to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the department.
Hours per week: As defined by the ECCFA contract
Weeks per year: As defined by the ECCFA contract
Function: Full-time teaching faculty instruct students and evaluate their progress to facilitate students in attaining their educational goals.
Essential Responsibilities: JOB TASKS/ELEMENTS
1) Conduct assigned classes and/or labs
2) Prepare lessons
3) Provide course syllabus (which shall include course information, grading standards, attendance policies, classroom behavioral expectations, and course outline
4) Utilize learning outcomes assessment and measures to improve learning/instruction
If a lab is involved:
5) Prepare labs
6) Enforce lab safety procedures
Evaluate Student Progress
1) Keep accurate record of student performance
2) Provide students with timely feedback
Provide Student Assistance
1) Maintain office hours and voice-mail/e-mail communication
2) Give career and academic advice
3) Refer students to student support services
4) Accommodate special needs students
1) Review/select textbooks and instructional materials
2) Develop/revise courses
3) Develop/revise degree/certificate programs
4) Review/revise course outlines
5) Participate in articulation of courses/programs
If occupational program is involved:
6) Consult with advisory committees
Participate in Professional Development
1) Participate in professional growth activities that are aligned with the college's strategic goals.
2) Keep current on research and technologies in assigned specialties
3) Participate in professional growth activities
4) Participate in professional organizations
Participate in Departmental Routines
1) Assist in scheduling of classes
2) Assist in setting departmental goals, learning outcomes and selection of textbooks
3) Participate in assessment of student learning outcomes at the college, program and course-level
4) Assist in assessing new equipment and/or supplies
5) Serve on standing committees
6) Serve on ad hoc committees (for example, search, college task-force, or instructional area committees)
7) Participate in program review
8) Comply with registration/records procedures
9) Verify student enrollment
10) Attend College-wide faculty meetings
11) Serve on non-tenure faculty evaluation committees in accordance with the agreed upon Faculty
12) Complete the requirements of the evaluation process
Essential Responsibilities Continued:
Other Responsibilities: This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of this position but it is not intended to be exhaustive.
Work Relationships: Does Not Supervise
Physical Demands: The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Working Environment: Office
Required Qualifications: 1. A master's degree in the discipline or in a related discipline with at least 18 graduate hours in the discipline
Desired Qualifications: Seeking candidates with experience teaching US history and/or political science with a focus on area or ethnic studies including, but not limited to, Black/African American, Latinx, Gender studies and non-Western societies. Special consideration given to candidates who provide evidence of using innovative pedagogies that foster student engagement in traditional and online modalities.
Successful candidate is expected to:
1) contribute positively to collegial culture
2) support department, division and college activities and goals
3) demonstrate cultural competence
4) demonstrate commitment to ongoing professional development, including discipline-specific activities and activities to enhance teaching efficacy.
Special Instructions to Applicants: Elgin Community College Support Staff of Elgin Community College Association (SSECCA) members that apply by 9/4/2018 and meet the posted minimum qualifications will receive full consideration.
This position is open until filled. This employment site is updated on a regular basis. The length of the recruitment and screening process may vary from position to position, depending upon a variety of factors. Should review of your qualifications result in a decision to pursue your candidacy, you will be contacted by phone or email.
Please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions document for information related to the ECC Hiring Process and Applicant Tracking System.
Materials Required to Complete the Application Process for this Position: Cover Letter/Letter of Application
Quicklink for Posting: jobs.elgin.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=52536