Assistant Professor, Psychology
Job Description Summary
The Department of Social Sciences is seeking qualified candidates for a full-time faculty position to teach Psychology courses at our center locations in and around the Langley AFB, Virginia Beach, Hampton, Newport News, and Chesapeake areas.
This appointment is twelve (12) months with eight (8) weeks of release time to be determined in consultation with the department chair and center director at Langley AFB along with Saint Leo Worldwide.
An exceptional candidate possessing a doctorate degree with extensive online experience may be considered at the Associate level.
The successful candidate will teach 9 courses per academic year (2 courses per 8-week term and one additional course).
This position is pending final budgetary approval
Duties and Tasks:
- Teach 9 classes per year;
- Advise students;
- Engage in curriculum development;
- Support recruiting efforts;
- Demonstrate professional development
- Undertake community service in keeping with the school's Benedictine values;
- Be able to teach traditional and non-traditional age students; and
- Demonstrate comfort with teaching-related technology.
- May perform other related tasks as assigned by the Department Chair, Associate Dean, Dean and/or Vice President for Academic Affairs
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must possess a Ph.D. in psychology from a regionally accredited institution
- Must have the credentials to teach courses in area of specialization per accreditation guidelines. Area of specialization is open with the exception of experimental psychology.
- Demonstrate excellence in teaching undergraduate students
- Experience teaching non-traditional student populations.
- Develop curriculums
- Evidence or promise of professional development and scholarly research
- United States citizenship. Military requirements mandate the final candidate must be a United States citizen in order to granted access to the Air Force Base.
The work environment characteristics described here are a representation of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term "qualified individual with a disability" means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office and University, handle various type of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Saint Leo University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success.
Each year from 2012 to 2016, Saint Leo University was named one of Tampa Bay's Top Workplaces by the Tampa Bay Times .
The Top Workplaces in Tampa Bay program was created by the Tampa Bay Times and WorkplaceDynamics. The companies in this survey were ranked based on leadership, compensation and training, workplace flexibility, and diversity.
One of the Top-Ranked Universities in Florida
One of the top-ranked universities in Florida, Saint Leo is a Catholic, liberal arts school serving learners of all faiths.
We are traditional, but we are cutting edge
Established in 1889 by the Order of Saint Benedict of Florida, the university seeks balanced growth in mind, body and spirit for all members of our community. Saint Leo has grown from a peaceful campus in the rolling hills of Central Florida to an institution of international consequence-ranked one of the best regional universities in the South by U.S. News & World Report
Our Tampa-area campus remains committed as ever to student-centered liberal arts education, and is strengthened by the global reach of our regionally accredited online programs and Education Centers in seven states across the U.S., including on many military bases.
We are Catholic, but we are for everyone
Our determination to make higher education more accessible to all has made Saint Leo a world leader in redefining the 21st century university. Saint Leo now serves more than 16,000 students from 49 states and 86 countries-ranking us among the five largest Catholic higher education institutions in the United States. Saint Leo is also one of the nation's 10 leading providers of higher education to the U.S. military.
While we are proudly Catholic, we teach students not because they are Catholic, but because we are Catholic. And our faith compels us to imagine and contribute to a more socially just society.
South Hampton Roads