Temporary FT 2nd/3rd Shift General Maintenance Technician - (Re-announcement)*
A high school diploma and four (4) years of professional trade experience in housing/apartment building maintenance including carpentry, sheetrock repair/finishing, painting, plumbing, basic electrical, basic HVAC and inspection services. An Associate’s Degree in Building or Industrial Maintenance is preferred. Candidates with an equivalent combination of experience and/or education are encouraged to apply.Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Basic computer skills and experience with e-mail and on-line work order systems preferred. The ability to understand and carry out routine oral and written instructions is required. Must have a valid SC Driver’s License. Must be reliable and responsible. Requires broad knowledge and ability to perform a variety of maintenance repairs and activities including: ELECTRICAL – Basic electrical maintenance and repair, including troubleshooting, replacement of receptacles, switches, light fixtures, ballasts, & bulbs/lamps. PLUMBING – Basic plumbing maintenance and repair, including troubleshooting, maintenance, repair, and replacement of faucets, sinks, drains, toilets, tubs/showers, water heaters and water service/drain lines. Also includes unplugging drain systems, repairing leaks, installing new valves and washers, and locating water shut offs to secure leaks or floods. CARPENTRY: Basic carpentry including troubleshooting, maintenance, repair and replacement of doors, windows, trim, and cabinets/drawers and associated hardware. SHEETROCK & PAINTING – Basic maintenance, repair, and replacement of damaged sheetrock, as well as, finishing and painting to acceptable standards. HVAC – Basic HVAC troubleshooting, maintenance, and repair to include cleaning out drains, replacement of thermostats, changing filters, resetting units.
Must be able to troubleshoot, anticipate, locate and correct general and emergency problems as related to building maintenance and repair. Must have knowledge and skill in the use of tools, equipment, materials and supplies related to building repair and specifications and have ability to comprehend blueprints and specifications.
All employees at the College are expected to perform their jobs in a safe manner in accordance with best safety practices as prescribed by their department, the Office of Environmental Health and Safety, and the Occupational Health and Safety Administration training as provided by the Physical Plant at the College of Charleston.
Must be able to perform manual labor and work outside in inclement weather. Must be able to work in close hot/cold quarters, climb ladders/stairs and lift or move furniture, objects and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds. Some overtime work will be required. This full time position requires working 40 hours per week on second and/or third shift as well as on weekends. Must be able to properly react in emergencies and make appropriate decisions under pressure. Must have the ability to multi-task and assess/plan work from start to finish. May be required to be on campus prior to and immediately following emergencies such as hurricanes, floods, etc.Special Instructions to Applicants
*The candidate filling this position may be eligible for healthcare benefits.
**Pay rate is commensurate with education/experience which exceeds the minimum requirements.
Offers of employment are contingent upon a successful background check and driving record.
All applications must be submitted online https://jobs.cofc.edu.Hours Per Week 40 Pay Rate **$15/hr - $17/hr Posting Date 06/07/2018 Closing Date 09/15/2018 Open Until Filled No Posting Number T17015 EEO Statement Quicklink for Posting http://jobs.cofc.edu/postings/6138 Job Duties Job Duties Activity
1. Performs a variety of custodial, routine maintenance, emergency maintenance and repair duties related to work orders or projects in campus buildings such as residence halls, historic houses, facilities, and office/academic buildings, etc. Responds to custodial and maintenance work orders on the second and/or third shift and on weekends. Responsible for ensuring that furniture, floors, walls, & surrounding work area is protected from dust & debris while work is being performed.
Performs basic maintenance, troubleshooting, and repairs as needed and requested:
a) ELECTRICAL maintenance responsibilities include replacing receptacles, switches, light fixtures, ballasts, & bulbs, as well as, resetting breakers and GFCI safety circuits, troubleshooting and repairing generators, and performing other basic electrical repairs as needed.
b) PLUMBING maintenance responsibilities include repairing/replacing/maintaining plumbing equipment and systems, including faucets, sinks, drains, toilets, tubs, showers, water heaters, dishwashers and water service/drain lines. Unplugs drain systems, repairs leaks, and installs new valves, stems, and washers. Turns water off when major plumbing issues occur to secure area and minimize facility damage until journeyman/master plumber can arrive. Assists journeyman/master plumbers with major repairs to include installing and remodeling plumbing systems.
c) CARPENTRY maintenance responsibilities include making repairs and emergency maintenance, such as barricading/securing damaged/broken doors and windows as a temporary measure until full replacement and repair can be performed.
d) Sheetrock and PAINTING maintenance/upkeep responsibilities include replacing/repairing damaged sheetrock, finishing, caulking and painting surfaces to acceptable standards.
e) HVAC maintenance responsibilities include investigating complaints of heating and cooling issues. Troubleshooting these complaints includes ensuring units have electrical power and are turned on, thermostat is set appropriately, drains are not clogged, vents are clean, etc. Performs necessary maintenance and repair or resets units to address these issues. Empties and distributes dehumidifiers, spot coolers and space heaters as needed. Secures area to minimize facility damage until HVAC technician can arrive to perform major repairs, such as chiller and cooling tower issues, and provides assistance if necessary.
e) Investigates WATER LEAKS to determine source (plumbing, HVAC, water intrusion from roof, door, and window leaks due to rain and flooding). Makes necessary repairs to stop leak when feasible or contain water by placing sandbags, water absorbing snakes, buckets etc. to minimize damage.
2. Installs/removes blinds and window hangings, troubleshoots basic cable/television issues, pressure washes, cleans and repairs walkways and porches. Responds to elevator trouble calls to verify that elevator is inoperable and needs emergency maintenance/repair. Ensures elevator contractor is contacted and technician responds as appropriate to provide necessary emergency maintenance and repair. Inspects mechanical rooms for water leaks, noisy pumps, and signs or indications of equipment problems. Takes the appropriate action to remediate issues discovered. Performs walkthroughs in facilities to identify problems and issues that need to be addressed to ensure the environment is appropriate for students, faculty, visitors, and staff. Performs daily interior/exterior inspection of campus facilities, documenting all needs for repairs and preventive maintenance. Places trade specific work orders to Physical Plant shops when necessary and works with shop personnel to ensure that work orders are completed in a timely, safe, & efficient manner.
Follows up on work orders as directed to ensure suitable resolution. Assists with storm preparation and recovery efforts. Inspects and removes trash/debris from roof drains and gutters to ensure appropriate water diversion and prevent water intrusion and flooding. Assists with event setups and breakdowns when necessary. Orders supplies as needed.
3. Moves and replaces furniture as necessary to perform CUSTODIAL and FLOOR MAINTENANCE work. This includes water extraction with shop vacuums, floor scrubbers, carpet extractors, pumps, squeegees, mops, etc. Operates burnisher to remove dirt and restore shine to floors as needed between periodic stripping and waxing.Essential or Marginal Essential Percent of Time 20% Job Duties Activity
4. Operates mobile electronic device to access, update, and complete work orders to include all appropriate information to reflect action taken, labor hours, parts, materials and other historical and cost related items.Essential or Marginal Essential Percent of Time 5% Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting
- Internal Job Posting
- Agency Referral
- Personal Referral
- Post and Courier
- Word of mouth
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Job fair
- Hiring Our Heroes (linkedIn)
- SC Works (SC Department of Employment and Workforce)
- Cover Letter / Letter of Application
- Other Document
- Other Document 2
- Other Document 3