Assistant Strength and Conditioning/ Assistant Track & Field Coach
Provides all aspects of throwing event training and implementation, as well as meeting the specific strength & conditioning needs for designated athletic teams. Recruits women and men student athletes for all throwing events.
The Assistant Strength and Conditioning/ Assistant Track & Field Coach serves as the assistant to Strength and Conditioning (S&C) head coach; throws coach for both women’s and men’s track and field programs. Delivers specific training in S&C and track & field (throws) to meet the physical and mental developmental needs of each individual.
Essential and Related Functions
- Assists the Fitness Center Director in all aspects of strength training programs for the 24 varsity sports. Meets with coaches and student-athletes, devises all-encompassing full season training plans, implements the specific training plans for each throwing event, and assists with home T&F meet management. Travels to all meets.
- Assists the Head Track & Field Coaches in upholding the respective program vision and mission statements and objectives.
- Maintains established goals of the program(s) through daily meetings with head coaches. Travels to all meets.
- Recruits academically and athletically qualified student-athletes who will be contributing members to the men's and women's track and field teams.
- Meets on a regular basis with throwers to assess personal, academic, and athletic growth.
- Designs and implements all training programs for all throwing events.
- Teaches proper execution, techniques, and safety for all S&C programs and throwing events.
- Works directly with the athletic training staff to monitor rehabilitation programs and develop post-rehabilitation programs for throwers and student athletes in S&C programs.
- Stays current on trends in track & field and participates in professional development.
- Complies with all University, ODAC Conference, as well as all NCAA rules and regulations.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned by Dir. of Fitness Center/S&C Head Coach and T&F Head Coaches.
Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred or 2-3 years’ experience with strength training and throws coaching on the collegiate level. Strong communication and organizational skills. Certifications required: CSCS certification from the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) and/or Strength and Conditioning Coach Certified from the Collegiate Strength and Conditioning Coaches Association (CSCCa); First Aid/CPR.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Washington and Lee is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As such, we are interested in candidates who are committed to high standards of scholarship, performance and professionalism and to the development of a campus climate that supports equality and diversity in our faculty, staff and student body. Job description requirements are representative, but not all‐inclusive of the knowledge, skill, and abilities needed to successfully perform this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Statement of Commitment to Diversity
Washington and Lee affirms that diverse perspectives and backgrounds enhance our community. We are committed to the recruitment, enrichment, and retention of students, faculty, and staff who embody many experiences, cultures, points of view, interests, and identities. As engaged citizens in a global and diverse society, we seek to advance a positive learning and working environment for all through open and substantive dialogue.