KSBDC Small Business Consultant (R-01260)
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Small Business Consultant is a member of the Kansas SBDC (Small Business Development Center) team and is responsible for providing financial and managerial counseling, advising, and training to existing small businesses and entrepreneurs in a 29-county region of Northwest Kansas. The position is responsible for operating, and is located at, our Outreach Centers in Colby, KS. Domicile in Colby, KS or the surrounding area is a job requirement.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: This position requires a Bachelor's Degree in Business Management or a related field, with at least three to five years of related, professional experience in at least three of the following areas: developing business plans, developing loan packages, accounting, teaching, economic development, business ownership, marketing, or finance.
- MBA/Master’s degree or higher
- 3-5 years of experience in a management position
- Experience in Small Business Development Center or University setting
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Strong presentation, written, and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Ability to work independently
- Mature judgement and ability to work constructively with others
- Maintain a professional work environment and businesslike appearance
- Attention to detail and performs duties well under pressure
- Demonstrated ability to use Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel) and enterprise systems (CRM, ERP, SharePoint, IFAS, Workday)
PRIORITY APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 7, 2018. Screening of complete applications will being immediately, and will continue until the position is filled.
BENEFITS: Competitive benefit package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
- Provides timely and professional advisory/counselling/consulting for clients.
- Conducts small business training for clients and pre-clients.
- Oversee budget, finance, travel, purchasing (including P-card), and all reporting activities in accordance with Federal, State, department, and University guidelines.
- Communicates with clients, students, University staff, and senior representatives at state and federal agencies on a daily basis, often regarding confidential issues.
- Prepares timely and detailed activity reports.
- Coordinates, develops, compiles, drafts, reviews, and makes ready for Directors signature/approval a variety of electronic and paper-based reports and documents.
- Supervises the activities of all student employees.
- Must be able to travel, sometimes overnight, and infrequently out of state.
APPLICATION PROCESS: To apply for this position, please visit https://fhsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/CAREERS. Only electronic applications submitted through the webpage will be accepted.
REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references. Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Search Committee Chair
ABOUT FORT HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY:
Founded in 1902, FHSU is a leading, forward-thinking university of the Midwest, with student enrollment of more than 15,000 (including 4,600+ on the Hays campus, a unique China partnership program with enrollment of 3,500+ students, and Virtual College enrollment at over 6,800+). Over 400 faculty and more than 500 professional and staff support and guide degree and certificate programs for the associate’s, bachelor's, and master's programs, and for the Doctorate of Nursing Practice, representing 31 departments within these academic divisions:
- College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
- W.R. and Yvonne Robbins College of Business and Entrepreneurship
- College of Education
- College of Health and Behavioral Sciences
- Peter Werth College of Science, Technology, and Mathematics
- Graduate School
Fort Hays State University provides exceptional opportunities for students from Kansas, the region, and the world, and the University attracts goal-oriented students who want premier learning experiences both inside and outside the classroom combined with one-to-one attention and support. FHSU students graduate with the knowledge, professional skills, and confidence to have a competitive edge in their chosen careers. Upon graduation, 95% of FHSU students find a job or placement in graduate school.
ABOUT HAYS, KS:
Candidates will discover a locale where professional satisfaction and career achievement are paired with an optimal quality of life. Fort Hays State University is located in Hays, Kansas, a vibrant, growing community of over 20,000 that takes great pride in the University's presence. Hays is a celebration of historic and contemporary contrasts, evidenced in its frontier roots highlighted throughout the city and local museums and in its redeveloped downtown area where residents enjoy one-of-a-kind restaurants, unique shopping, and a vibrant arts scene. This community’s commitment to the future inspires Hays businesses to reinvest locally.
A welcoming and family-centered community, Hays offers premier healthcare services, a growing high-tech and retail business community, and excellent Pre-K and K–12 schools in both the private and public sectors. The City of Hays has long been known as a safe community, and the FHSU campus is recognized by the National Council for Home Safety and Security in 2018 as one of the Top 100 Safest College Campuses in America. For entertainment, recreation, education, employment, or simply for a comfortable place to live, residents of all ages will find in Hays the elements that contribute to a safe, enjoyable, and fulfilling lifestyle.
Notice of Non-discrimination – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.