ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF ANNUAL GIVING, ATHLETICS
Duties: This role is part of the Penn Champions Club team, which is the alumni relations and development arm for the Department of Recreation and Intercollegiate Athletics (DRIA) at The University of Pennsylvania that sponsors 33 varsity sports and dozens of club and intramural opportunities. The Penn Champions Club is committed to providing a world-class experience for Penn student-athletes in the classroom, in the community and in competition. Its staff fosters relationships with alumni, donors, parents, volunteers, coaches, other athletics staff as well as colleagues in Penn Development and Alumni Relations in support of overall DRIA fundraising achievement.
The Assistant Director of Annual Giving is a member of a Development and Alumni Relations (DAR) team focused on achieving the fundraising and alumni relations goals of the Department of Recreation and Intercollegiate Athletics (DRIA). With minimal guidance and supervision from the Sr. Associate Athletic Director for Development and Alumni Relations and the Director of Major Gifts, the Assistant Director of Annual Giving plans, administers, coordinates and implements all aspects of assigned functions within DRIA's Athletics Development and Alumni Relations office.
* Maintain a local, regional and national travel schedule, meeting with current donors and prospective new constituents within assigned sports. Document visit activity with detailed contact reports in Atlas.
* Working with the Sr. Associate Athletics Director, Development and Alumni Relations, Associate Director of Development, Major Gifts, Director of Major Gifts and Director of Annual Giving, engage in all aspects of Penn Athletics DAR marketing communications including determination of target audience and creative theme, production of materials and delivery to constituent audiences via direct mail, e-communication, etc.
* Collaborates with the Sr. Associate Athletics Director, Development and Alumni Relations, Associate Director of Development, Major Gifts and Director of Annual Giving to develop, plan, and execute the Athletics Annual Fund marketing plan, creating messaging and 'appearance' of all direct mail, email and telephone annual fund solicitations.
* Collaborate with the Associate Director of Development and Assistant Director of Events to create and execute a schedule of events throughout the year for assigned sports. Assist in coordinating logistics including catering, venue, creation of event bios and appropriate post event follow- up.
* Manage an annual fund prospect pool of 75 prospects, in various gift cycle stages of identification, cultivation, ask and stewardship.
* Assist and execute all activities related to Penn Athletics Sports Board oversight. This includes but is not limited to scheduling board calls/meetings, developing agendas/supporting documentation, performing key research, and being an active participant during board proceedings.
* Establish and maintain direct contact with leadership donors, building individual relationships and relationships with Penn Athletics.
* Perform other coordinator duties in the department that are not sport-specific and therefore not expressly assigned to another staff member.
* Work effectively with Central Development resources of the University.
* Perform additional duties as assigned.
* Work closely with volunteers as door openers and special event hosts
* Engage volunteers in prospect identification and evaluation process
* Oversee select prospect assignments to volunteers, including, the provision of pre And post contact support and, as appropriate, accompany volunteer members on cultivation/solicitation visits
* Keep volunteers informed about the Department and its fund-raising priorities
* Work closely with sports boards formulating board strategies and tactics.
* Conduct cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship visits at the request of and/or in
Combination with colleagues in central development and Schools/Centers
* Staff fund-raising visits by Athletic and University leaders, e.g. President, Athletic Director, coaches and senior development officers
* Work closely with other Major Gift Officers and on-campus Alumni Relations
colleagues in the development of on campus events and programs that will lead to increased high-level involvement of prospects and donors
* Collaborate with central fund-raising staff, including Principal Gifts, Leadership Gifts, Major Gifts, Penn Fund Reunion, Planned Giving and School/Center Development Directors
Qualifications: BA/BS and 1-3 years experience required. BA/BS in field relevant to activities of department preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Outstanding organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills. Experience in fundraising and/or event planning and/or Marketing communications and a passion for athletics strongly preferred. Demonstrated ability to work independently, and in collaboration with other staff, handling multiple diverse projects. Excellent computer skills including word processing (Microsoft Word for Windows), spreadsheet (Microsoft Excel), graphics design software tools (e.g. Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator) and web design (HTML). In and out-of-state travel, evenings/weekend/holiday work will be required as schedules dictate. Valid driver's license required.
Reference Number: 90-29673
Salary Grade: 026
Employment Type: Exempt
Org: School/Center Development
Special Requirements: Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Job Family: F-Development/Fundraising/Marketing