Lecturer w/ Potential for Security of Employment
Open August 15th, 2018 through October 1st, 2018
If you apply to this recruitment by October 1st, 2018, you will have until November 14th, 2018 to complete your application.
Assistant Teaching Professor in Developmental and Cell Biology
Applications are invited for an Assistant Professor of Teaching, a University of California position that emphasizes teaching, but otherwise parallels the tenure-track faculty series, including membership in the Academic Senate. Advancement in this series requires, in addition to excellent teaching and service, the candidate must make outstanding and recognized contributions to the development of his or her specific discipline and/or pedagogy. The successful candidate will participate in the undergraduate teaching mission of the department, with opportunities to instruct lecture or lab courses such as introductory biology, developmental biology, cell biology, anatomy, and scientific writing. The successful candidate will also play a prominent role in biology education research, working with other faculty to develop, implement and assess innovative pedagogical initiatives. We seek an outstanding applicant with a Ph.D. in a biology discipline, preferably with postdoctoral training in cell biology, developmental biology, or STEM education research. Other preferred qualifications include documented success in some or all of the following areas: teaching large undergraduate classes; use of evidence-based teaching practices; use of modern instructional technology; ability to develop effective teaching strategies for diverse student populations; conducting STEM education research. Salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
The School of Biological Sciences is recognized as a national leader in the development of programs designed to increase the participation of underrepresented minorities in the biomedical sciences (http://port.bio.uci.edu/about/) and is firmly committed to the ideals of equity, diversity, and inclusion. Career partners programs are available to meet the needs of dual-career academic partners, while subsidized faculty and staff housing and a Mortgage Origination Program are offered to facilitate the purchase of a home. UC Irvine is located 10 minutes from the coast, and the city of Irvine is home to excellent parks, schools, and entertainment opportunities.
Information on the department is available at http://devcell.bio.uci.edu/ . Review of applications will begin September 15, 2018. Applications completed by October 1, 2018 will be granted full consideration. For application instructions, please go to the Department of Developmental and Cell Biology Assistant Teaching Professor section at https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF04893. Criteria for the research, teaching, and diversity statements are provided on the website.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy. As a recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity, UCI is responsive to the needs of dual-career couples, supports work-life balance through an array of family-friendly policies, and is dedicated to broadening participation in higher education.
Job location Irvine, CA
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Research - Three Pages: 1. Detail specific area of expertise, with description of contributions to the field. 2.Detailed plan of future education research program; 3.how program will synergize w/ UCI's resch. envir. See full criteria in ad
- Statement of Teaching - See http://dtei.uci.edu/the-reflective-teaching-statement/. Three pages: 1. Teaching exper. to date, exper. w/ teaching/lecturing to undergrads/grad students/other; 2.Teaching approaches & philosophies; 3. Evidence of teaching effectiveness
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing how your past and/or potential contributions to diversity will advance UCI's Commitment to Inclusive Excellence (http://www.uci.edu/diversity/) & demonstrates awareness of issues faced by underrepresented & economically disadvantaged.
- Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 letters of reference required
HOW TO APPLY
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information
Get started: press Apply Now