Areas of Intereset: Custodial
Functional Areas: Student Affairs
Department: Department of Housing Administration
Requisition Number: 12318
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Employment Type: University Staff
Posting Close Date: 13-Aug-2018
Housing & Dining Services is now welcoming applications for a Custodial Lead position. This position assists a custodian III by providing leadership to a crew of custodians. Also works to fulfill the basic purpose of the work unit by cleaning and disinfecting showers and bathrooms, sweeping, mopping or vacuuming floors, or by removing ice and snow from walks, steps and entrances. A Custodian I in this position reports maintenance problems such as burned out bulbs or tubes, running water, and plugged drains to Custodian III.
Who We Are
Housing & Dining Services (HDS) strives to provide CU students, faculty, staff and families with an exceptional living experience through our support services, award-winning dining and innovative programs.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Empty and remove the contents of all waste or desk side recycling receptacles and properly dispose of trash and/or recyclable materials in the appropriate containers.
- Dust and/or wash window sills, blinds, woodwork, doors, clean elevator walls and control panels.
- Dust overhead pipes, light fixtures and all unobstructed horizontal and vertical surfaces.
- Wash door glass, blackboard frames, chalk trays and erasers.
- Dust all furniture as needed.
- May be responsible for washing blackboards and whiteboards in classrooms.
- Use backpack vacuum to thoroughly clean all floor surfaces and stairwells and vacuum upholstery as needed.
- Vacuum erasers and chalk trays in classrooms and conference rooms.
- Vacuum entryway mats and elevator door tracks daily.
- Close all open windows, turn off lights and close and lock doors.
- Use specialized "touch free" restroom cleaning system to provide consistent cleaning to restrooms.
- Pick up debris from floors, empty feminine waste receptacles and regular waste receptacles; restock all supplies daily; disinfect fixtures, partitions, and floors; brush-scrub restroom floors and showers; use high pressure spray to rinse partitions and floors; scrub sinks, toilets, and urinals; use squeegee tool to clean off partitions, mirrors and countertops.
- Vacuum up dirt and debris and water from floors; use blower feature to dry floors; scrub and disinfect drinking fountains daily for guest restrooms clean with regular hands-on cleaning methods.
- Clean entrances of facilities daily: sweep, empty ashtrays, clean entry doors, clean out leaves and cobwebs from corners.
- Extract entry level carpeted hallways once per week; mop all hard surface floors; spot mop spills daily; assist with stocking closets as needed with necessary supplies for the facilities; take out bulk trash; remove graffiti, spot clean carpets, and remove gum from floors as necessary.
- Provide a safe and healthy environment for University of Colorado students, staff, and visitors by removing ice and snow with shovels, ice scrapers, or salt from outside walks, steps and entrances.
Emergency and Miscellaneous Work
- Perform initial emergency clean up; Pick up water or debris; extract carpeted floors and upholstered furniture with disinfectant.
- Clean upholstery by hand or with extractor: Move or assist in the moving of heavy furniture; replace dirty linen with clean linen, and make the beds during conference season.
- Strip and finish hard surface floors and extract carpets as assigned.
- Participate in the "Eyes and Ears Program" and "Emergency Response Teams" as needed.
- Clean and perform minor maintenance on all custodial equipment to keep it in proper working order.
- Report all equipment needing repairs to the supervisor. Empty and clean all vacuums, buckets, Kaivacs, and hydro- and hepa-vacs daily.
- Keep the custodial workstation clean and well stocked with supplies and materials needed to perform the work in the assigned area.
- Maintain the custodial workstation in a safe manner, add water to floor drains as needed, report updates to building floor plans as needed.
Assist with Supervisory Duties
- Assist in planning, assigning, coordinating, inspecting and reviewing custodial routine cleaning activities.
- Adjust assignments to accommodate absences. The position must also perform supervisory substitution work in the absence of the supervisor, and other duties as required.
- Assist Supervisor with ordering supply and year-end inventory supplies.
- Help inspect room readiness at Move Out and Move In, also during conference session.
What You Should Know
- Schedule is M-F 7:00AM - 3:30PM.
- Free RTD Pass.
- Opportunity to apply to participate in English (ESL) Classes.
What We Can Offer
The anticipated starting salary is $29,328.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be Impactful. Be Willing. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Eighteen (18) months of experience in an occupational field related to the work assigned to the position.
- A combination of education and experience sufficient to ensure that following satisfactory completion of the training period, employees will meet the requirements of the class to which the position is assigned.
What You Will Need
- Ability to speak, read, and understand basic English.
- Custodial cleaning experience.
- Dependability and reliability.
- Ability to get along with co-workers and others.
- Ability to follow directions.
- Customer service skills.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Prior custodial/cleaning experience.
- Previous experience working on a team.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
This position is designated "essential services." The incumbent is required to respond to requests for work during campus emergencies (snow, wind, rain, flood and any other natural or man-made event) and report to work for his / her regularly assigned shift during emergency campus closures.
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer