Assistant Grants Manager
Requisition # 2018-8897
Category Grants and Contracts
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Department of Physics is seeking an Assistant Grants Manager who will work under the supervision of the Grants Manager. The Assistant Grants Manager handles pre-award (proposal submission) and post-award management (monitoring and projecting expenditures) of sponsored research projects for approximately 9 PIs (as well as their groups which include researchers, technicians, post docs, graduate students and undergraduate students). This also includes monitoring the PI's startup and rebate programs. In addition, he/she handles many other tasks such as approving Concur travel and expense reports, processing and approving journals, approving non-PO payments, working with the graduate administrator to assign chartstrings for graduate students and other duties as assigned. The successful candidate will be someone who is very detailed oriented and who has excellent interpersonal and communication skills, oral as well as written. Someone who has the ability to work independently, possesses strong problem-solving skills, pays attention to detail and handles multiple tasks under pressure. We want a team player who has the ability to understand and support organizational goals and apply knowledge to achieve department goals.
- Manage the proposal submission tasks for Physics faculty, students and research staff including pre-proposals, full proposals, fellowships, Letters of Intent, Notices of Intent, incremental funding, supplements and renewals to both federal and non-federal agencies.
- Create Budget Justifications - include all necessary policy statements from University, add all numbers and compare to budget for accuracy. Coordinate completeness with PI, upload into portal & COEUS.
- Current & Pending for each PI and any senior personnel: Run report in COEUS for all pending projects, run report in IW for the award inventory. Format, look up salary in LA for months committed to each project. Created a template to use for each proposal. Confirm with PI for accuracy.
- Created compliance guides to assist with various elements of a proposal including biosketch, data management plans, mentoring plans, facilities, etc.
- Compliance Checks - look at full package to determine if all sponsor required elements are present and in proper format.
- Depending on sponsor, login to submission portal, upload document after confirming it is compliant with current regulations; Submission through various portals (FastLane, proposalCentral, NSPIRES, Grants.gov, COEUS S2S, etc., PAMS, ) For example, Fermilab funding packages (for new or incremental funding) need to be downloaded from Ebid and then require completion of certification, additional labor details and other necessary documents to be compiled into a package and route to ORPA for signatures and approval.
- Coordinate Subcontract documents (domestic and foreign, which documentation varies) - including commitment letters, budgets, justifications, statements of work, etc. Correct any errors on documents if necessary. Requires multiple communications.
- Signatures on Required Documentation (Certifications, letters, cover pages, etc.)
- Route all COMPLETE proposals through COEUS to ORPA for approvals/tracking - must be done at time of submission now, NO EXCEPTIONS. Obtain e-verification information if necessary.
- Daily communication with ORPA on current and future tasks in regards to proposals, agreements and other miscellaneous requests.
- Coordinates new faculty hire proposal transfer to Princeton - moving funds from one institution to Princeton via paperwork from agency and institutions.
- Request documents and approvals for any interim requests such as no-cost-extensions directly with sponsors, budget changes and other requests on currently awarded projects.
- Equipment orders & supply purchases (EARF, Sole Source Justification, Quotes), obtain approvals and complete paperwork - follow through to completion.
- Allocate salaries in accordance to awarded budgets and make adjustments as needed (salary projections, commitments) and assist with PI certifications in Labor Accounting.
- Close out accounts in conjunction with Sponsor Research Accounting (SRA).
- Prepare OPAR form related to extensions, pre-award, continuations, new projects, etc.
- Complete OPAR form and budget distribution form for rebudgeting purposes, or creating new projects.
- Coordinate subaward activities, invoices and budgets with related admins.
- Review all requests for purchases made to physics purchasing for proper charging.
- Set up Independent Contractors with Physics Purchasing. (obtain all necessary documentation from vendor/supplier)
- CONCUR review and approval for faculty, staff and students.
- Review and pre-approve all expenses in regards to travel/purchases routed through the group admin ensuring they are applicable to an account.
- Assist with requested sponsor progress reports through Research.gov and other agencies.
- Monitor spending to ensure that grant budgets are on track with original proposal - confirming expenses and reviewing any open encumbrances.
- Approve journals and Non-PO payments.
- Work with Graduate Administrator to assign chartstrings for graduate students.
- Perform other activities as designated by the Manager of Grants and Financial Operations, Department Manager or Chair.
- Bachelor's degree in business or finance or 4-6 years of grant experience in an Educational setting preferred.
- Familiarity with principles of accounting, federal Uniform Guidance and related sponsored research statutes.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products, especially Excel and Word. Excellent computational skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of Princeton's business applications (PRIME, Coeus and Concur), policies and procedures.
- Must understand and be able to implement the policies of a large number of funding agencies (NSF, DOE, NASA, DARPA, ONR and NIH).
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate's current employment status with Princeton University.
Go to our careers site.