CLINICAL RESEARCH FINANCIAL SPECIALIST
Duties: The Clinical Research Financial Specialist is an integral member of the Office of Clinical Research (OCR) Finance Unit and reports to the Clinical Research Budget Manager. The position is central to the financial preparation and management of clinical trials conducted within the Perelman School of Medicine and supports the clinical research community in maintaining research billing compliance.
The Clinical Research Financial Specialist will:
1) Review the Prospective Reimbursement Analysis for clinical trials to ensure that all research-related costs are budgeted and the appropriate payer is identified.
2) Using the Penn Clinical Trials Management System, create Billing/Medicare Coverage Analysis calendars to support study teams in managing financial milestones throughout the study.
3) Develop workflows and processes for receiving, reviewing, approving, and monitoring of clinical trial budgets, Prospective Reimbursement Analysis, Medicare Coverage Analysis, and other financial documents to improve research billing compliance.
4) Conduct e-learnings, in-person workshops, and create tip sheets to educate the research community on budgeting for clinical trials and Medicare Coverage Analysis.
5) Communicate with Principal Investigators, Project Managers, Clinical Research Coordinators, and Business Administrators as part of the clinical trial financial review process and provide timely customer service to study teams.
Qualifications: A Bachelor's degree and 3 years to 5 years of experience (finance, billing or accounting) or equivalent combination of education and experience required; Working knowledge of medical terminology and medical billing is preferred; Knowledge of federal regulations related to clinical research preferred; Must work well as part of a project team and have strong analytical, spreadsheet, and database skills.; Excellent communication and effective writing skills are a must.
Reference Number: 40-29398
Salary Grade: 026
Employment Type: Exempt
Org: SM-DN-Office of Clinical Research
Job Family: D-Financial