University Information Systems (UIS) provides technical services and enterprise applications to the University of Colorado campuses and the Office of the President. UIS is committed to excellence in customer service and technical expertise. Through the development of enterprise applications, UIS supports the University as a whole with systems used by students, faculty, human resources employees, finance employees, and others.
The department of University Information Systems (UIS) is recruiting for a Systems Administrator. This position's work includes the planning, implementation, administration, and operational support of the university's enterprise infrastructure. In a high-paced environment, this includes daily issue resolution, regular maintenance work, advisement and contribution to project initiatives as part of the infrastructure team. This also includes participating in the definition, implementation, and support of best practices used by the team with a focus on continual improvement. This position is responsible for taking part of regularly scheduled maintenance windows and being on-call as part of a rotation within the infrastructure team. The Systems Administrator reports to the Assistant Director of ECS Infrastructure and is exempt from the state of Colorado Classified Staff system.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties and responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Oversees the administration and support of infrastructure hardware, software, and associated services.
- Participates and/or leads activities responsible for planning, installing, configuration, maintenance, documentation, troubleshooting, and upgrading infrastructure related services.
- Troubleshoots, resolves and/or escalates complex problems to vendors as needed to address system, network, application, and customer problems.
- Collaborates with other teams within UIS, and throughout other CU campuses, as part of daily operations, projects, and/or various initiatives.
- Manages server operating systems, both physical and virtual (Linux, Windows, VMware), to include directory services and storage maintenance.
- Operates and supports messaging services; Email (Exchange/O365) and IM (SFB).
- Manages backup/restore services (VEEAM).
- Oversees the configuration and maintenance of layer 2/3 network and voice services, to include firewall and load balancer support.
- Monitors, analyzes, reports, and remediates systems activity to ensure optimal performance and operation.
- Develops and maintains documentation covering essential job functions and supported systems.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Information Technology implementation, administration, and support practices.
- Skilled in implementation and support of complex software applications
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and tasks, while delivering quality results
- Ability to serve on-call during specified maintenance windows
- Ability to interact positively, clearly, and professionally with customers, peers and upper management
- Ability to document processes and procedures for current and future use
- Strong problem solving skills and effective communication, along with the ability to work independently, as well as part of a cross-functional team
Who we are:
System Administration, which also houses the Office of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with an office in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses. This position is located in Denver. Many of our departments support the educational and research missions of the four University of Colorado campuses. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty.
What we offer:
Salary: The salary range for this position is $70,000 - $82,000.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical: Multiple plan options
- Dental: Multiple plan options
- Additional Insurance: Disability, Life, Vision and Wellness
- Retirement 401(a) Plan: Employer contributes 10% of your gross pay
- Paid Time Off: Accruals over the year
- Vacation Day: 22
- Sick Days: 15
- Holiday Days: 10
- Tuition Benefit: System employees have the benefit on all campuses
- ECO Pass: RTD Bus and light rail service
- Additional Perks & Programs: Click here to access a few more Perks and Programs
Click here to access our Total Compensation Calculator to see what your total rewards could be at CU. This position is a University Staff position.
For more information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in computer science, engineering or other related field. A combination of education, technology training and industry certifications, and related experience may substitute for the degree on a year for year basis.
- Three (3) years of experience in the following technologies:
- Configuration, administration, and supporting Windows Server, Active Directory, and Group Policy Management and/or enterprise Linux environments
- Managing and supporting Microsoft Exchange and/or Office 365 environments
- Implementing and operating VMware environments, specifically vSphere 5.5 or above
- Managing enterprise Storage Area Network (SAN) environments
- Setting up and operating an enterprise backup/restore solution to include disk, tape, and virtual environments
- Microsoft Office and Visio for the management of tasks & documentation purposes
- Demonstrable proficiency in scripting/programming (PowerShell)
- Utilization of enterprise system/network monitoring tools; log review, analysis, and remediation
- Route/Switch/Security Networking; datacenter, core, and/or branch office
- Supporting telephony services, particularly IP Telephony
Special Instructions to Applicants:For full consideration, completed applications must be received by Friday, August 24, 2018. Those who do not apply by August 24, 2018 may or may not be considered. Reference checking is a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including email addresses, for up to five references as part of the search process for this position. *Please note: All application materials must be submitted through CU Careers; emailed materials will not be considered.*
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires a verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:You must attach a cover letter, resume, and list of references to your application as three separate documents. Please ensure you check the "Job Specific Attachments" box next the each document on the "Required Documents" page of the application for the appropriate documents to be attached. For full consideration, please apply by August 24, 2018.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Denver
Department: S0001 -- System Administration - 50119 - University Information Systems
Posting Date: Aug 10, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Lauren Morain
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00001739