Medical Director - Hospital Medicine - Colorado Springs (Open Rank)
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics - Section of Hospital Medicine
Medical Director - Hospital Medicine - Colorado Springs (Open Rank)
Position # 747418 - Requisition # 13820
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
As the CHCO (Children's Hospital Colorado) Colorado Springs Medical Director and Open Rank* faculty member (Instructor, Assistant Professor or Associate Professor) of Hospital Medicine, the position will be responsible for overseeing section and inpatient medicine development for CHCO's new hospital in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Collaboration with Children's Hospital Colorado and Department of Pediatrics management regarding strategic and operational development will be an integral component of this role. The candidate will provide leadership in the development of new program administration, faculty recruitment, clinical care delivery models, credentialing requirements and ongoing evaluation of programs. They will work with hospital management on getting the hospital up and running, finalize planning and formalize RRT and other emergency procedures. Upon the opening of the new hospital, this incumbent will be responsible for patient care program outcomes, metrics, safety and supervision, development and enhancement of the clinical care delivery model and research environment and will be expected to support clinical education, advocacy and contribute to the success of the CHCO Department of Pediatrics in Colorado Springs. Clinical work will be approximately 20% of a full-time position before the opening of the new hospital in April of 2019 and 50% once operational.
*Rank will be determined through education and experience in an academic setting.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Section and Inpatient Medicine leadership and oversight at CHCO in Colorado Springs
- Program administration and development in conjunction with Department and Hospital leadership
- Directing and strategically expanding patient care operations in the hospital section and the inpatient medical units
- Establishing strong metrics and outcomes for clinical performance
- Developing innovative clinical programs to meet the future needs of children with illnesses requiring inpatient medical care in Colorado Springs
- Recruiting and developing faculty and interdisciplinary professionals to support the clinical and academic missions
- Creating the future generation of pediatric inpatient medicine specialists
- Building and maintaining partnerships with community providers, affiliate institutions, community organizations within the region.Collaborate with the CHCO COS CMO to jointly oversee departmental compliance with regulatory requirements
- Oversee all clinical related activities for the Section of Hospital Medicine at CHCO in Colorado Springs
- Collaborate with the CHCO COS CMO and CHCO hospitalist leadership to jointly oversee patient care program outcomes, quality and safety program
- Collaborate with Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Pediatric Emergency Department, Anesthesia, Department of Pediatrics, and Colorado Springs leadership regarding operational integration of the Section of Hospital Medicine in Colorado Springs
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates may be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- Medical Doctor or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
- Board Certified or Board Eligible
- Minimum of 7-10 years of progressive accomplishments
- Proven administrative experience in the field of pediatric hospital medicine
Condition of Employment:
- Must successfully pass a drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal background and sex offender registry check
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proven administrative and leadership abilities
- Excellent clinical skills
- Strong commitment to education
- Sustained clinical experience in pediatric hospital medicine
- Demonstrated leadership and accomplishments in complex organizational environments
- Documented vision and success in building clinical programs
- Excellent communication skills to interface with learners, faculty, health care teams, administrators, community organizations and donors
Special Instructions to Applicants:Special Instructions to Applicants *Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Required Application Materials: When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references. Questions should be directed to Jennifer Reese, [email protected]
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: - Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21566 - SOM-PEDS HospMed-GenOps
Posting Date: Jun 11, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jennifer Reese
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00747418