Tech Support Specialist II
Job Description Summary:
I. JOB OVERVIEW
The Division of Information Technology (it.gwu.edu) is the chief provider of technology infrastructure, services and applications at GW. The Division partners with stakeholders across GW to equip students, staff and faculty with the technology know-how and tools necessary to achieve academic excellence. Reporting to the Manager of IT Service Delivery, the Tech Support Specialist II works within the Division's Service and Contract Management department.
The Tech Support Specialist II performs the following duties:
- provides mobile device and computer endpoint technical support to GW staff and faculty focusing on diagnosis, maintenance, and repair of both hardware and software issues. This support is completed via desk-side, remotely, and at special event locations.
- assists in designing and managing the GW user support technical infrastructure including servers, networks and security applications as well as in coordinating all application interfaces and related technical matters with the computer operations staff. * plans and organizes training for users relative to new technologies and regularly interacting with other technical support staff to review major issues and problems that arise.
- participates in projects focused on the research, evaluation and recommendation of new technologies that will better support the GW community.
- applies excellent collaboration and customer service skills to work across IT and other technical support units to develop technology related educational programming and support materials for the community.
The position is based at GW's Foggy Bottom campus in Washington, DC campus but may require occasional travel to the Virginia Science & Technology Campus in Ashburn, VA.
The incumbent may perform other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.Minimum Qualifications:
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience providing in-person Windows and Mac support, as well as mobile device support (iOS, Android and Windows based devices) is preferred.
- Experience with technical writing, copyrighting or development of educational materials is desirable.
- Excellent customer service skills.
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: Division of IT Family Information Technology Sub-Family Tech Support/Service Delivery Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 1 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday-Friday (8:30 AM - 5:30 PM) Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa statusInternal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S007519 Job Open Date: 08/03/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What do you think are some of the challenges of this role in higher education, and what are some of the opportunities?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Does the professional experience section of your resume include months?
- * What is your expected salary range?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter