Systems Administrator I
Systems Administrator I
Systems Administrator I
IT Shared Services - 925000
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday - Friday; 8am -5pm
IT Shared Services (ITSS) is part of the Finance Division of The University of North Texas System. The mission of ITSS is simple: to be the best at delivering customer-aligned IT solutions and services. Our services are provided to all member institutions using an IT shared services governance model.
IT Shared Services provides the primary technology used by all campuses to support their operations. These include: shared resources of data centers, computing hardware, software applications, network and voice communications, collaboration and productivity capabilities, central web services, risk management, and security and compliance services. As a department, we strive to provide the most professional personnel possible to serve our campus constituents.
The University of North Texas is a state employer offering great benefits, including medical, dental, life, retirement, ample paid time off, and great work/life balance.
The IT Shared Services at the University of North Texas System is seeking to hire a Systems Administrator I to join our team. The Systems Administrator I performs entry-level computer system administrator work. This position is responsible for managing, monitoring and updating the IT systems and involves analyzing user requirements.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Provide 2nd-tier customer support for supported systems by communicating with customers, troubleshooting, resolving and documenting issues and solutions.
* Review technical documentation to understand installation of a new system or modification of an existing system.
* Install, configure and update software systems.
* Troubleshoot and resolve issues with software systems.
* Create and follow procedural documentation in support of the installation and maintenance of Software Systems.
* Develop scripts or programs to automate routine tasks or solve problems.
* Communicate and coordinate maintenance of software systems with other technical teams.
* Monitor system health and performance and take action to resolve issues.
* Work with vendor support staff to ensure software systems are available.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree in related field and two years of related computing work experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Prior experience with specific systems, equipment and software may be specified as needed by department.
* Knowledge of principles of computing and communications networks, and characteristics of computing hardware and software used in distributed environment.
* Ability to operate computer keyboards and to install computer hardware.
* Ability to assimilate, retain and utilize technical and applications-oriented information.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Experience with scripting with PowerShell or Python
* Experience with Office 365
* Experience with configuration management tools (SCCM, MDT, Salt)
* Experience with system and application monitoring tools (SCOM, Zabbix)
* Experience working with version control systems (Git)
* Experience with continuous integration tools (Jenkins)
* Experience with the LDAP protocol and implementations (Active Directory, eDirectory, OpenLDAP)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary commensurate with experience
Quicklink for Posting