HEI Program Coordinator
Office of Diversity Administration
Proposed Salary Range
Type of Employment: Staff
Employment Status: Full time (29-40 Hrs)
Under the direct supervision of the Vice Chancellor for Diversity and Community Engagement and in close, ongoing communication and collaboration with the Office of Multicultural Affairs and the Division of Enrollment Management, the Strategic Diversity Initiatives Coordinator, implements, evaluates and continually improves recruitment and retention initiatives to increase the number of underrepresented students who matriculate at Arkansas State University (A-State) on the path to college success. The incumbent is responsible for planning and delivering programs for establishing and/or sustaining viable pipelines to enhance the recruitment and retention of students from underrepresented populations through partnerships with K-12 schools, community colleges and other four-year institutions. The incumbent is also responsible for developing pre-college programs and events to assist students with topics such as academic preparation, scholarships, financial aid/financial literacy, and admissions/applications processes. The incumbent will provide leadership for the Division’s signature initiatives; ACT Prep Bootcamp, SURE Program, INSPIRE, SDR, Black Male Success Initiative (BMSI) and others.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Designs, develops and implements campus-wide programs that support target student populations and programs that promote diversity, inclusiveness, and cultural awareness.
- Serves on cross-department committees and support programming efforts that align with department goals.
- Provides support and advising to Brother 2 Brother and other multicultural student organizations and student-led cultural month planning committees through leadership development, planning events, navigating campus polices, and reviewing budget and major purchases as needed.
- Manages department public relations by providing information and assistance regarding department functions to students, academic and student affairs departments, designing, editing, and distributing department flyers and publications; managing the department website and social media accounts.
- Maintains assessment databases by collecting information about programs or other items of interest through surveys, attendance, evaluations and assessments.
- Compiles campus demographic reports as required.
- Acts a liaison with other departments and related outside groups and promotes and encourages collaboration between DDCE and other university departments and offices.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks.
- Contributes to team effectiveness by achieving results as needed.
- Provides information on diversity topics to the campus community through workshops, trainings and presentations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of the organization and administration of various higher education academic and social programs, campus and community resources, and state, federal, and campus rules, regulations, and requirements related to campus academic and social programs.
Ability to coordinate the activities of campus academic and/or social programs, evaluate collected information and formulate into recommendations, and compile information into report form.
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Additional hours as requested and/or needed
Regular and reliable attendance
Statement describing your commitment to diversity and working with diverse populations.
The formal education equivalent of a Bachelor's Degree with a major in Sociology, Public
Administration, or related field.
Two (2) years of experience in program administration or related area.
Other job related education and/or experience may be substituted for all or parts of these basic requirements, except for certification or licensure requirements, upon approval of the qualifications review committee.
Arkansas State University is a public, multi-campus higher education system with enrollment in excess of 22,000 students. Approximately 14,000 students attend the Jonesboro campus where the student body is diverse. The campus has a renewed focus on international student recruitment and capital campaign development. Jonesboro has a population of approximately 67,000 and is located 70 miles northwest of Memphis (www.jonesborochamber.org).
EEO Statement: It is the policy of Arkansas State University to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons; to prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, age, disability, genetic information, national origin, status as a veteran or other status protected by law; and to promote the full realization of equal employment opportunity through a positive continuing program of affirmative action.