Student Recruitment Specialist
Hyde Park Campus
35390 Harris Sch Pub Policy
About the Unit
Why Policy? For a better world. Why Harris Public Policy? Because when it comes to better policymaking, evidence matters. We work at the frontiers of data collection and analysis, using the latest technology and social science methods to design policies that work for society. We conduct rigorous inquiry in an environment of innovation and risk taking. We collaborate across the private, public, and nonprofit sectors, adopting new methodologies to drive better solutions. We engage with our city, our world, and our leaders every day to evaluate and test our ideas. And we lead with our passion for driving social change, knowing that passion alone does not equal impact. This is Harris Public Policy: Social impact, down to a science.
Reporting to the Director of Student Recruitment, the Student Recruitment Specialist serves as the initial point of contact for most prospective students, coordinates the application process, organizes the execution of recruitment events and campus visits, and supports key administrative functions for the Student Recruitment and Global Outreach office. In this role, the Student Recruitment Specialist helps ensure a high-quality prospective student experience by providing excellent customer service and support to applicants and Chicago Harris colleagues.
Serve as the initial point of contact for prospective students (academic/degree-based programs), ensuring a positive, personalized experience unique to Chicago Harris.
Manage daily inquiries to the Student Recruitment and Global Outreach office.
- Respond to and forward email and phone inquiries to appropriate staff, ensuring quick and informative responses to prospective students and others contacting the office
- Answer walk-in visitor inquiries professionally, efficiently and effectively
Coordinate logistical arrangements for all campus visits to ensure a positive experience for prospective students and their accompanying guests
- Assist visitors with logistical recommendations and ensure necessary arrangements are made for visits
- Prepare information packets for visiting students and welcome visitors to Chicago Harris
- Confirm campus visits with prospective students, Harris student volunteers, and recruitment staff
- Answer inquiries related to visiting the University, Harris and the City of Chicago
- Seek opportunities to enhance and personalize campus visits and other interactions with the Recruitment team, making recommendations on larger changes to leadership
Coordinate the application process and oversee collection of appropriate application and enrollment documentation
- Coordinate the inflow of applications and ensure all required application documentation is secured within established deadlines
- Confirm application status and troubleshoot issues that arise with the submission process
- Resolve prospective student inquiries throughout the application submission cycle
- Provide degree information and verification for third party scholarship requests on behalf of admitted students; coordinate with the Director of Recruitment Marketing and Strategic Initiatives, as needed
Ensure compliance-related document requirements are met for admitted international students in collaboration with the Office of International Affairs
- Serve as primary admission staff contact for all student inquiries related to visa application timeline and process
- Process visa documents and relevant communications efficiently, maintaining excellent customer service and response times
Coordinate the execution of recruitment events with attention to detail and according to Harris event standards
- Work with the Director of Recruitment and other leadership to understand the objectives of specific recruitment events
- Help create detailed event plans based on those objectives and oversee their execution
- Collaborate with Harris and UChicago events experts in order to utilize best practices and ensure all events are executed according to standards appropriate for Harris
Serve as the day-to-day administrator for the Recruitment office
- Update and manage the accuracy of the Recruitment office calendar, ensuring all aspects of the recruitment life cycle are accounted for, as well as large events and initiatives happening in other areas of Harris and the University
- Execute GEMs and reimbursement reporting for the Recruitment Office, prospective student visitors, and others as assigned
- Provide support to the Director of Recruitment including scheduling meetings, coordinating travel, preparing materials, itineraries, meeting briefs, etc.
- Oversee student workers and other administrative staff, as applicable
- Execute special projects as assigned by the Director of Recruitment
- Customer-service orientation with a strong aptitude for maintaining a positive demeanor in difficult customer exchanges
- Demonstrate ability to review and prioritize work to take appropriate actions without advance approval, set priorities, and meet deadlines ensuring close attention to detail
- Effectively work on multiple projects simultaneously employing strong project management skills
- Excellent project management and written/verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Internet, social media, and e-mail at an intermediate level
Education, Experience or Certifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Liberal Arts, Business Administration or related field required
- Advanced degree in Public Policy or International Education strongly preferred
- Minimum of one year of administrative experience in Recruitment/Admissions, Student Affairs, Academic Support, or closely-related environment required
- Previous experience working with and assisting foreign nationals preferred
- Familiarity with higher education environment and knowledge of the University of Chicago's unique culture and administrative systems preferred
- Cover Letter
- Reference Contact Information
NOTE: When applying all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.
Depends on Qualifications
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
The University of Chicago is an urban research university that has driven new ways of thinking since 1890. Our commitment to free and open inquiry draws inspired scholars to our global campuses, where ideas are born that challenge and change the world.
We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of original ideas. Students in the College develop critical, analytic, and writing skills in our rigorous, interdisciplinary core curriculum. Through graduate programs, students test their ideas with UChicago scholars, and become the next generation of leaders in academia, industry, nonprofits, and government.
To learn more about the university click here http://www.uchicago.edu/