Limited Term Emergency Preparedness Specialist
Limited Term Emergency Preparedness Specialist
Position Number: 10062026
Benefits Eligible: No
Campus Location: Gainesville
Job Close Date: 08/23/2018
General Summary: The University of North Georgia is currently accepting applications for a Limited Term Emergency Preparedness Specialist. This is a highly accountable staff position reporting to the Assistant Director that will plan, organize, and administer emergency preparedness activities including pre-emergency planning, coordinating response to and recovery from all-hazard emergencies, and other community threats. In addition, this position provides emergency preparedness presentations and education to the university community and organizations relevant to emergency preparedness planning and response. The individual in this position will work closely with other University departments as well as local public safety officials on an ongoing basis. Considerable independent judgment, initiative, and understanding must be exercised in interpreting orders, rules and regulations, and in effectively handling emergency situations which might adversely affect persons or property. Work is performed both indoors and outside, in all types of weather and in various types of environments, some of which may be hazardous.
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of over 19,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university's signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG's Dahlonega Campus.
Job Duties & Responsibilities: The Emergency Preparedness Specialist will:
- Develop, coordinate, recommend, and review policies and procedures for Emergency Preparedness for the University, ensuring compliance with local, state, and federal laws.
- Manage the development, coordination, implementation, analysis, evaluation, and updating of emergency management plans including emergency operations plans, emergency action plans, and business continuity plans among adhering to local, state, federal, and USG guidelines.
- Develop educational materials and literature on emergency and disaster readiness, and develops training programs for University community members.
- Respond during emergencies or events to designated locations. Manage and ensure the readiness of the University's EOC's to provide coordinated support and coordination during emergencies and/or events.
- Identify and seek Federal funding to support training, equipment, and/or recovery efforts, as appropriate.
- Coordinate and manage the development of special events plans for University events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must have knowledge of OSHA, EPA, NFPA standards, the National Incident Management System (NIMS) and the Incident Command System
- Strong organizational skills with proven ability to prepare reports, proposals, training programs, and other documents that may be required by compliance requirements.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Certifications/Licenses & Minimum Requirements:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- At least two years of experience in a public safety discipline
- A valid class C Georgia driver's license is required.
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Special Instructions to Applicants: Please submit contact information for three professional references. This position will require a background check and a DMV check.
Employer Information: All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation, as determined by the University of North Georgia in its sole discretion. The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.
We provide equal employment opportunities to minorities, females, protected veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.
The University of North Georgia is committed to providing equal opportunity to all qualified applicants without discrimination at the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, age, disability or handicap as a matter of college policy and as required by applicable state and federal laws.