Assistant Director of Study Abroad and Exchange Programs
Position Number 998733
Functional Title Assistant Director of Study Abroad and Exchange Programs
Position Type Administration - Staff
The Assistant Director of Study Abroad and Exchange Programs will serve as a study abroad advisor to and coordinator for 200+ students. This means working with all levels of administrative units and faculty members. Interaction with students, parents, and administrators is paramount to this position. The person in this position will advise students who are planning to go on any type of study abroad program (short-term partner, faculty-led, semester, and year-long exchange programs). S/he will also work closely with the Incoming Exchange Student Coordinator regarding students coming to UNC Greensboro for semester or year-long exchange programs. S/he will advise outgoing study abroad students by identifying appropriate study abroad site options, ensuring coursework consistency with students' current academic goals, transferring credits, determining financial aid applicability, and programming re-departure orientation. S/he will act as a UNC Greensboro liaison for students while they are abroad to ensure that they are appropriately enrolled upon return to UNC Greensboro. S/he will assist in conducting pre-departure and re-entry workshops to facilitate student adjustment, re-integration, and career plans. This person will also assist with partnership relations and agreement management efforts.
The Assistant Director will be responsible for oversight of the three one-credit study abroad courses (pre-departure course, in-country course, and re-entry course). This entails development of content, assignments, activities, and other materials associated with the course. It also includes evaluation and grading of assignments and providing feedback to students as they navigate each phase of the study abroad process.
The Assistant Director will report directly to and work with the Senior Director of Study Abroad and Exchange Programs to administer and expand UNC Greensboro's Study Abroad and Exchange Programs. While reporting directly to the Senior Director and receiving guidance from the Associate Director, the Assistant Director will also work closely with and be advised by the Associate Provost for International Programs.
- Master's degree to meet University qualifications for teaching
- One to three years prior experience working in the international education field at a higher education institution
- History of managing, developing, and supporting study abroad opportunities at the university level
- U.S. citizenship or permanent residency as required by federal regulations in order to serve as an ARO
- Experience living, working, or studying abroad
- Outstanding intercultural sensitivity; he or she must show evidence of previous work with students of diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Demonstrated ability to interpret policies and procedures of both UNCG and partner institutions and advise students accordingly
- Ability to manage time effectively, work independently, and multi-task in a fast-paced environment with frequent deadlines
- Ability to collaborate effectively with supervisors, coworkers, faculty and staff, community leaders, third party entities, and counterparts in partner institutions
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times
- Detail oriented with excellent organizational skills
- High standards of professionalism needed to represent UNCG and the IPC effectively both domestically and abroad
- Willingness to periodically travel domestically and abroad
- Proficiency in at least one language other than English
- Experience advising international students on J-1 visas and an understanding of the SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information Systems) database
- Experience managing international exchange agreements
- Familiarity with Terra Dotta or other study abroad data management system
- Familiarity with Banner
Recruitment Range $42,000-$45,000
Org #-Department International Program Center - 11101
Job Open Date 08/10/2018
For Best Consideration Date 08/31/2018
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Appointment Permanent
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Link to Professional Portfolio
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have one to three years prior experience working in the international education field at a higher education institution?
- * Do you have U.S. citizenship or permanent residency as required by federal regulations in order to serve as an ARO?
- * Do you have a Master's degree to meet University qualifications for teaching?
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu