Assistant/Associate Professor in Design - Plastics Engineering
Job no: 494667
Position Type: Faculty Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Plastics Engineering
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience
Applications Open: Aug 10 2018
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
Located 25 miles northwest of Boston, Massachusetts, the internationally recognized Department of Plastics Engineering at the University of Massachusetts Lowell is the largest ABET accredited plastics program in the Unites States.
The Department invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position supporting product, process, and machine design.
Applications are particularly welcome for faculty at Assistant and Associate Professor ranks in the following areas:
1. Design of high performance, multi-material systems such as engineered composites, functional fabrics, flexible electronics, and 4D products
2. Design of products, composites, assemblies, machines, molds, and tooling
3. Design for manufacture, assembly, sustainability, and the life-cycle
4. Design of quality assurance systems including process instrumentation, model-based control, and systems integration
Outstanding faculty candidates should have expertise in two or more of these areas, and be poised for excellence in their teaching, research, and service
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Earned doctorate in Plastics, Polymer, Materials, Chemical, or Mechanical Engineering or a closely related area prior to start of appointment
- Outstanding research record in area(s) of expertise
- Strong communications skills
- Commitment to excellence in teaching
- The ability to work effectively with diverse groups
Successful candidates for the Assistant Professor-level, tenure-track position will have a record of publications that demonstrates potential success as a researcher; teaching experience is beneficial, as well as experience as a Postdoctoral Fellow. Successful candidates are expected to establish nationally recognized, sponsored research programs. While not required, industrial experience and a record of interdisciplinary collaboration will be viewed positively. Faculty with significant experience will be considered for appointments at higher ranks.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please include a CV, cover letter, teaching statement/philosophy and research statement. Names and contact information for three references will be required at the time of application. References will be contacted for a letter of reference immediately after application submission. References will be required to upload recommendation letters to our on-line portal; neither emailed nor hard-copy letters will be accepted. *Three letters of reference are required.
Review of applications will begin on November 1, 2018 and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.