Senior Staff Accountant
Position Title: Sr. Accountant
Division/Department: Division of Business and Finance
Reports To: Associate: Associate Vice President for Business & Finance / Budget
Under general supervision, this position is responsible performing accounting functions, provide oversight to budgets and serve as the subject matter expert for donor gift, endowment fund and investment related duties.
· Monitor gift appropriations and awards for fund transfers and use professional judgment to determine if funding transfers are in compliance with donor intent restrictions and fund/investment accounting guidelines.
· Ensure award amounts (endowment draw) are spent in accordance with Board approved spending appropriations.
· Complete the monthly fund balance reconciliation between Banner Finance Module, Student Aid Module, and Raisers Edge.
· Complete a monthly reconciliation of donor and investment activity to ensure all transactions are recorded properly in Endowment Manager and Banner.
· Work with Advancement and Financial Aid related to move misclassified transactions to the correct fund, organization and/or program code.
· Ensure investment earnings and management fees are allocated correctly.
· Ensure unitization of transactions is correct.
· Perform an annual fund and investment compliance review on a judgmental sample of donor gift and endowment funds to determine if the funds are being managed and used in compliance with donor intent restrictions, fund accounting guidelines, College policy, and good business practice. This also includes analyzing stagnant fund balances and the units' overall management of the gifts and endowment funds.
· Works collaboratively with other Morehouse College Departments regarding personnel and non-personnel budget management
· Process purchase requisitions (budget side).
· Assist in the development and financial variance analysis
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
· Required: Five years of professional level accounting experience.
· Required: Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Excel, Access, and Word.
· Preferred: Five years of donor and investment accounting experience or a Master's degree in accounting or a related field
· Demonstrated analytical skills to perform complex financial analysis and reporting of business transactions.
· Ability to propose policies/procedures that improve and/or maintain the effectiveness of daily financial operations.
· Strong verbal and written communications skills to effectively present information and respond to requests for guidance and/or clarification.
· Ability to address and resolve difficult and complex issues/problems; strong interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
· Ability to multi-task and produce accurate, detail-oriented work to meet stringent deadlines; creativity in problem solving and exercising independent judgment and discretion.
· Familiarity with Banner, Endowment Manager and Argos software sought, but not required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
· Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in accounting
· Master’s degree in accounting preferred.
· Previous experience in Higher Education setting preferred.
· Must be able to work frequently during evenings and weekends.
· Must be able to sit or stand frequently for long period of time as necessary.
· Must be able to use multiple mobile devices whenever necessary.
· Frequent standing, walking, and sitting for extended periods of time is required.
· Lifting 40 lbs. as needed.
Morehouse College is an equal opportunity employer. No employee or applicant will be discriminated against in any condition of employment because of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, veteran status or any other status protected by law.