Manager, Payroll Systems
Coast Community College District
Manager, Payroll Systems
Salary: $98,599.00 - $131,038.00 Annually
Full job description and OFFICIAL application available ONLY at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cccd/jobs/2173563/manager-payroll-systems?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Plans, organizes, and supervises and accounts for the timely preparation and maintenance of District academic, classified, contracted, and part-time payrolls. Assures deductions for and reconciliation of benefits for the District by coordinating, implementing, and ensuring up-to-date files and reporting for programs that include, but are not limited to group insurance, retirement, capital accumulation, and statutory deductions.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Manager, Payroll Systems is a first-line managerial position over payroll activities with direct relationship to the accounting and human resources functions. The District absorbs a greater accountability for the timeliness, accuracy, and compliance of payroll and the relationship with the County Office of Education who are only processing payroll checks. Advancement to this position is based on need, however, could be a job enlargement, e.g., from Accounting Supervisor, or through the Payroll Technician career ladder. Advancement to this position requires the ability to supervise and integrate all aspects of payroll and benefits processing, accounting, and communications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
• Plans, organizes, and manages and evaluates the work of payroll staff. Establishes departmental standards and work plans, prioritizes, assigns, and reviews the work of staff responsible for processing, accounting for, and troubleshooting payroll.
• Establishes standards for staff, monitors, coaches, and evaluates the performance of staff to departmental requirements and personal development targets. Monitors the work of staff and offers coaching for continuous performance improvement and development.
• Supervises, participates in the processing of, and authorizes District payrolls including computation and posting of employee time, subtraction of appropriate deductions and preparation of required reports.
• Assures payroll timelines are met, maintains payroll controls, assures proper procedures, policies, rules and regulations are applied to payroll activities. Checks payrolls for compliance with rules, regulations and policies.
• Oversees and audits the setting of rates, deductions to employees' accounts, and payments to third-party providers.
• Manages and prepares regularly scheduled payroll, benefits, and retirement reports. Computes all forms of pay and payroll deductions including those for retirement, union dues, tax sheltered annuities, credit union, withholding taxes and insurance.
• Confers with human resources, information technology, and accounting personnel concerning payroll systems and data requirements. Serves as a principle resources for the Payroll component of the District's enterprise financial system.
• Ensures accurate reporting of federal, state, and special payroll taxes and fund contributions. Prepares retirement and withdraw forms and reports for both academic and classified pay systems.
• Ensures that payroll records are up-to-date and include the necessary job and biographical information for accurate group benefit and retirement plan coverage and deductions.
• Oversees and posts changes to District payroll records. Prepares annual total compensation statements for each employee showing income, benefits, and deductions.
• Working in collaboration with HR, maintains absence and sick leave records for all employees and prepares and distributes sick leave balance forms for each employee.
• Provides information to employees concerning salaries, deductions and and general payroll policies.
• Approves warrants for payments to third parties such as insurance companies, agencies, and credit unions. Prepares periodic reports of payments and transfers.
• Coordinates and participates in activities connected with the development and maintenance of automated payroll systems.
• Assures the integrity of records related to payroll/fiscal operations and activities including general ledger, payroll register and budget records. Supervises destruction of records in accordance with established laws and policies.
• Analyzes and reports on fiscal accounts and budgets including, but not limited to, payroll tax liability and benefit accounts.
• Prepares and/or supervises the compilation and preparation of special reports and surveys based on payroll records and periodic statistical reports.
• Participates in audits.
• Reviews and interprets collective bargaining agreements. Implements required changes to payroll systems including policies and procedures. Reviews the more difficult and complex payroll transactions to ensure accuracy of payments and related employer-mandated costs.
• Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.
Qualifications and Physical Demands
Knowledge and Skills:
The position requires specialized professional knowledge of the laws, regulations, accounting standards and procedures that govern payroll and payroll processing including elective and statutory benefits. Requires additional specialized knowledge of the principles, laws, Requires in-depth knowledge of automated/integrated payroll systems and specific applications used by the District. Requires in-depth knowledge of the laws, regulations and education codes relating to academic and classified payrolls. Requires in-depth knowledge of the general accounting practices used in schools or equivalent. Requires knowledge of and skill at applying the practices and principles of supervision. Requires advanced math skill to perform complex accounting and statistical computations. Requires sufficient English language knowledge and skill to prepare professional reports and written communications. Requires well-developed human relations skills to convey personal and technical information to all levels of staff, manage and review performance, and solve problems.
Requires the ability to perform all aspects of the position. Requires the ability to prepare clear, complete and concise financial records and analyze accounting data and prepare financial statements. Requires the ability to independently establish, schedule, and sequence payroll accounting activities to meet all deadlines. Requires the ability to prepare account adjustments and custom reports using PC based spreadsheets and relational databases. Requires the ability to conduct technical research and prepare complex arithmetic computations. Must be able to supervise and lead staff in a manner which encourages efficiency and teamwork. Requires the ability to analyze situations and adopt effective solutions.
Education and Experience:
The position typically requires a Bachelor's degree in accounting, and two years of progressively responsible experience in payroll function. . Alternatively, the position may accept an Associate's degree and 6 years of experience. Or, any combination of education and experience which would provide the required equivalent qualifications for this position.
Knowledge of general regulations, laws, and policies and procedures pertaining to payroll processing activities of the California Community Colleges.
Possession of a Master's degree from an accredited institution in accounting, business, or a related field.
Experience with Ellucian Banner, accounting software and report writing software.
Current experience with direct management/supervision of staff in a collective bargaining environment.
Licenses and Certificates:
May require a valid driver license.
Coast Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer