Assist the Department Chair with all office administration.
Perform clerical tasks for entire Unit, such as phone monitoring, exceptional front desk customer service, and ordering office supplies, as needed.
Maintains budget/expenditure records by:
- preparing paperwork for payments
- reconciling faculty charges
- reporting status of expenditures versus budget/accounts monthly to Department Chair
Assist faculty in completing teaching and related activities; including:
- printer issues, stocks paper, and prepares correspondence as directed.
- teaching related resources: making copies, scanning documents, ordering desk copies of textbooks, and processing scantron exams.
- supporting study away programs and efforts through communication with students and budgetary tracking and filing.
Travel arrangements for professional activities. Completing arrangements for annual author visit and other guest speakers.
Serve as liason with IT department to maintain Sociology computer lab.
Serve as primary contact for maintaining all student and alumni databases and files.
Prepare, type, and distribute correspondence and announcements. Supervise preparation of materials for mailings, email announcements and departmental newsletters.
Maintain records of Unit's department and course data for assessment purposes; administer regular surveys via Qualtrics and reports results; collect and report dashboard metrics of success across areas.
Liaison with Institutional Research as necessary.
Maintain signage with current announcements, visuals, schedules, etc.
Organize, in conjunction with Department Chair, all departmental events, including faculty-student lunches, special events and awards picnic.
Oversee all document management for Sociology, identifying and solving problems, maintaining confidential, well-organized physical and digital (Box) records.
Affirm faculty credentials, amend records, communicate with faculty over repetitive issues (such as textbooks, dates, syllabi, etc.); maintain faculty files, both digital and physical.
Assist faculty and department chair with hiring related activities:
- Organize and distribute applicant files
- Serve as anonymous vote recorder
- Make travel and on-campus visit arrangements for candidates
- Communicate with incoming faculty about necessary start-up arrangements such as obtaining office keys and securing work computer.
Utilize Furman systems to accomplish tasks:
- Build section records, implement and publish schedule of classes.
- Processing student change of major, drops, course withdrawals, university withdrawals.
- Producing student data reports, including honors, probation, enrollment, and rosters.
- Performs semester degree audits of student majors to monitor progress on degree requirements and communicate status to faculty adviser.
- Certify graduation requirements have been met for graduating senior majors.
Wordpress: update all website changes.
Outlook: email appropriate correspondence among and between: faculty, staff, students and alumni.
Excel: Update and monitor Budget and spending.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Resume and Cover Letter
Review of applications will begin on August 17.
Associates, GED, High School
Job Posting End Date (if date is blank, posting is open ended):
To apply, visit https://furman.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Furman_Careers/job/Main-Campus/Administrative-Assistant_R000210
Furman is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty and staff. The University aspires to create a community of people representing a multiplicity of identities including gender, race, religion, spiritual belief, sexual orientation, geographic origin, socioeconomic background, ideology, world view, and varied abilities. Domestic partners of employees are eligible for comprehensive benefits.