Academic Editor and Editor, Liberal Education
The Association of American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U), the leading national higher education organization committed to improving the quality of undergraduate education, seeks an experienced, self-motivated, and talented editor for the position of Academic Editor. This position includes the role of Editor for Liberal Education, the flagship quarterly journal of AAC&U that expresses the voices of educators, faculty, administrators, and others who are working to enrich liberal learning and undergraduate education.
The Academic Editor will report to the Senior Director for Communications and will manage and/or assist with multiple projects in AAC&U’s Communications Department, including (1) editing Liberal Education; (2) serving as lead and supporting editor for monographs, books, and other projects; (3) drafting official statements and other written products for AAC&U, as needed; (4) providing collaborative assistance to other editors; and (5) completing other duties as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, edit, and supervise the production of Liberal Education; manage related budgets; engage with the editorial advisory board; and manage copyright documentation and other administrative tasks
- Provide editorial feedback and advice on materials that require, or that would benefit from, the Academic Editor’s review (e.g., calls for proposals, statements, op-eds, and other materials), as requested;
- Serve as lead editor on books and other materials as assigned;
- Serve as copy editor or proofreader on books and other materials as needed;
- Draft official statements or other written products on an as-needed basis;
- Provide management support to associate and/or staff editors, including project-level direction, mentorship, professional development, and performance evaluations (in collaboration with the Senior Director of Communications); and
- Annual travel to at least two AAC&U conferences and/or events.
- Previous editorial experience;
- Outstanding editorial and writing skills;
- Commitment to AAC&U’s mission to advance liberal education and inclusive excellence;
- Excellent organizational skills and attentiveness to deadlines and details;
- Self-starter who is able to work independently and as part of a team;
- Strong computer skills and web editing experience;
- Expert knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style;
- Deep knowledge of higher education issues and liberal education trends, with specific knowledge/experience in two or more of the following areas: teaching and learning, leadership, faculty innovation, and institutional change; and
- Master’s Degree in English, Communications, or another field closely associated with writing and editing or equivalent experience as an editor.
- Experience with APA style;
- Experience on a college or university campus implementing aspects of AAC&U’s mission in real-world settings; and
- Ph.D. in a discipline that directly contributes to current knowledge of higher education’s policies, practices, and issues.
Please submit a resume (with contact information for three references) and a cover letter as a single PDF file, as well as salary range expectations, to [email protected]. Your application should describe relevant work and educational experiences and include a short (3,000 words or fewer) writing sample—such as an article, op-ed, or paper written on a subject related, ideally, to higher education issues—that demonstrates the strengths you would bring to this position.
AAC&U believes that a broadly diverse staff is critical to achieving excellence as a national higher education association. We seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. We are fully committed to equal employment opportunity and compliance with the full range of fair employment practices and non-discrimination laws.