Part-Time Telecommunicator Pool
Salary $13.50 Hourly
Location Champaign, IL
Job Type Part-time, 19 hours or less per week
Department Student Services
Job Number 8.9.18TC
Application review will begin immediately and positions will remain open until filled
Parkland College Department of Public Safety is a 24-hour police department with sworn police officers, safety patrol officers, and Telecommunicators. The Telecommunicator is the primary and initial contact person for the department and provides telecommunication support for police personnel. This position requires a concern for security while paying attention to detail in processing citizen and police contacts.
The Telecommunicator is on a schedule established by the Director of Public Safety, which may include rotating shifts and working weekends. Internal and external events occasionally necessitate an altered work schedule and voluntary overtime. This position involves frequent handling of confidential information and records. Minimal supervision is provided; The Telecommunicator must be able to work independently and accurately prioritize tasks.
- Friday and Saturday, 11 PM - 7 AM
- Saturday and Sunday, 3 PM - 11 PM
- An online Parkland College employment application
- A cover letter
Essential Job Functions
- Take calls for emergency and non-emergency assistance by phone and/or in person.
- Process information and dispatch appropriate police or emergency medical personnel.
- Monitor Parkland Police Officers' locations, radio traffic, and requests while being capable of responding effectively using specific police terminology.
- Locate and process requests for computer, scanner, Internet, and file information.
- Operate and enter data into ARMS CAD system.
- Provide information and assistance to the Parkland College community as appropriate.
- Contact METCAD and relate appropriate information when advised by officers.
- Communicate with other emergency services, such as police, fire, and EMS departments.
- Appropriately handle confidential information per department policy.
- Operate Mobil Data Computer (MDC) and relay appropriate information per department policy.
- Answer calls to the Parkland College operator telephone line.
- Respond to requests for reports, record checks, and background checks.
- Assist in maintain Parkland College's lost and found.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent GED.
- Pass a skills assessment and an extensive criminal background investigation, including a fingerprint check.
- Successfully complete LEADS (Law Enforcement Agency Database System) and IWIN (Illinois Wireless Information Network) Certification.
- Verbal and mathematical skills sufficient to communicate effectively, prepare reports, analyze situations, operate the switchboard, and perform other duties.
- Accurate typing proficiency.
- Ability to handle serious/life threatening situations including remaining calm, alert , and following correct protocol to assist the individual(s) in need.
- Work cooperatively in a team environment while upholding to the highest standards of competency, professionalism, and integrity in all work, demeanor, and in communication with others.
- Maintain proper dress code as determined by department policy
01 Please indicate your highest level of education.
- High School or GED
- College - 30-59 credit hours
- College - 60-89 credit hours
- College - 90-119 credit hours
- College - More than 120 credit hours, but no degree
- Specialized Trade School
- Associate's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Post Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- Post Master's Degree
- Doctorate (PhD, MD, JD, DVM, VMD)
02 This position often requires multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment. What experience have you had in a similar environment?
03 Describe how you will work to create a campus environment that is welcoming and inclusive.
* Required Question
Parkland College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.