Senior Program Assistant, Graduate School
Bentley University strives to create a campus community that welcomes the exchange of ideas, and fosters a culture that values differences and views them as a strength in our community.
Bentley University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, building strength through diversity. The University is committed to building a community of talented students, faculty and staff who reflect the diversity of global business. We strongly encourage applications from persons from underrepresented groups, individuals with disabilities, covered veterans and those with diverse experiences and backgrounds.
Job Description Summary
Graduate Student and Academic Services (GSAS) is the unit within Academic Services which serves the unique advising needs of graduate students through academic advising, academic success and tutoring services.
Collaborating with Graduate Admissions, Program Directors, Center for International Student and Scholars, and the Registrar, GSAS provides advising and guidance to pre-matriculated students to support enrollment yield and reduce melt and support visa compliance. GSAS also works with Academic Departments, Program Directors and the Registrar's Office to deliver the graduate academic program by managing the term course offerings and projecting term offerings based on course demand data and curriculum changes and new degree program development.
The Senior Program Assistant provides critical support to enable GSAS to accomplish these core functions.
The Senior Program Assistant manages critical processes and provides a high level of administrative support to the graduate student and academic services team. Comprised of a Director, Sr. Associate Director and 3 professional academic advisors, the incumbent serves as the primary point of contact both within the university and for external clients. S/he works independently to oversee all aspects of department events or programs including logistical and marketing efforts, executes projects or portions of larger projects, and manages a variety of academic processes for a high visibility department.
Administrative Oversight and Customer Services Role Model:
- Employee provides direct support to newly-admitted and current graduate students and information to the general public.
- Demonstrate grace under pressure when dealing with distressed students and, increasingly, parents.
- Provide sensitive and responsive first line support to the undergraduate Online Degree Completion Program students during the program's review process.
Management of Website:
- Obtains continual training in university website tool (e.g. Drupal).
- Monitors and maintains department website and proactively suggests updates or changes. Maintains information displayed on the front lobby video screens.
- Works directly with web services for changes and corrections as required.
- Promptly updates web posted advising resources (program guides and grad school forms, changes in policies and procedures).
- Assists the Director and professional staff in creating marketing material for academic success programming and related services.
Manages email@example.com Department Account:
- Oversees the graduate advising general email account messages - responds directly to inquiries from students, alumni, faculty and general public, forwards more complex queries to advisors.
- Refers students to other service offices when appropriate (non-sensitive situations).
- Uses a variety resources to generate reports, collect data and support making informed business decisions:
- Uses a variety of technology including, but not limited to, student information systems (BANNERand Workday Student), Cognos, Excel, CourseLeaf (curriculum and catalogue management) to help inform data driven decision making forGSAS.
Supporting Term Scheduling, Course Offering Projections, Course Utilization, Term Waitlists and New Student Onboarding:
- Works with the Senior Associate Director to manage course waiting lists, enrolls students from waiting lists and into classes and follows-up directly on seat offers.
- Supports the Senior Associate Director in developing the 3x per year graduate school schedules. Proofs multiple versions of the pending course schedule and Projected Course Offerings developed by the Sr. Associate Director in collaboration with academic departments.
- Manages the comparison of the Master Schedule with academic department input and reports discrepancies to the Senior Associate Director for resolution.
Financial Support and General Reporting:
- Monitors budget for department including purchases, invoices, ordering supplies, monitoring student payroll and attendance. Ensures timely payment of department bills.
- Assists in the preparation of assessments and annual department report and other reports as needed.
- Hires and continuously trains student employees.
- Apprises student employees on changes in policy and procedures.
- Ensures students are trained to provide administrative support as needed to the Director and professional advising staff in the areas copying, scanning and scheduling appointments.
Event Planning and Coordination:
- Coordinates logistics of events from setup, to menu, to room reservation; act as check in supervisor for events.
Process Student Change Requests:
- Process Program Change, Certificate and Dual Degree Applications from continuing students. Check all required authorizations and follows process through completion and student notification (approved/denied).
- Backup and Summer Support to Disability Services - Intermittent Coverage of Undergraduate Service Desk:
- As part of theOASpan-department service team, uses Titanium Schedule ™ system to provide additional scheduling backup for Disability Services, which provides learning and testing accommodations for graduate students in addition to the undergraduate population.
- Collaborates with Undergraduate Admin Staff: Co-plans departmental training sessions, meetings, retreats and events.
Requires H.S. Diploma/GED and 4-6 years of related experience.
Advanced mastery of MS Office Suite.
Demonstrated ability working with and learning new technology.
Bachelor's degree and prior experience with enterprise-wide systems preferred.
Proof reading experience.
Bentley University requires references checks and may conduct other pre-employment screening.