Job Description Position Summary:
At the Long Island State Veterans Home, our Cleaners are valuable members of our team, and are primarily responsible for maintaining a clean, safe, germ-free and home-like environment for our residents, families and staff. Duties of a Cleaner may include the following but are not limited to:
- Washes floors, corridors, stairs and stairwells, walls partitions, windows from the inside or outside of buildings using mops, brushes, detergents, buffers, floor scrubbers, and other cleaning implements.
- Strips and waxes floors; vacuums and shampoos carpets; and dusts assigned areas using manual or mechanical equipment.
- Cleans all areas of lavatories and locker rooms, such as sinks, urinals, toilets, showers, shower walls and drains, locker room common areas.
- Replaces light bulbs, dusts or washes light fixtures and high places such as ceilings using ladders and scaffolds.
- Cleans and polishes furniture, metal fixtures and equipment.
- Removes hazardous articles on floors, furniture, and equipment and places them in designated receptacles or in appropriate places.
- Moves furniture and equipment in connection with cleaning activities.
- Changes curtains and drapes, and hangs pictures and other decorative objects.
- Empties trash, recyclables, and waste, in accordance with cleaning schedule.
- Assembles cleaning cart to conform to assigned cleaning duties, and mixes and properly dilutes cleaning solutions in accordance with manufacturer directions.
- Wears appropriate protective clothing, and other specialized protective equipment to align with the assigned cleaning assignments.
- Checks supplies and equipment functioning, and notifies supervisor of low supply levels, equipment malfunction, and building maintenance issues noted during cleaning.
- May be assigned to remove snow; clean sidewalks, yards, and drives; and mows lawns in assigned areas with manual or mechanical equipment.
- May be assigned to laboratories, clean rooms, operating rooms, and other hospital settings that require a high degree of cleanliness and disinfectant processes that must be followed.
Working conditions may involve exposure to infectious disease, blood, body fluids and/or tissue as well as other unpleasant elements such as accidents, injuries and illness. May be exposed to and be required to handle varying unpredictable, emergency and crisis situations. Occasionally subjected to irregular hours and pressure due to multiple calls and inquiries, as well as weather related situations. Qualifications Required Qualifications:
Ability to perform medium to heavy physical labor. Ability to understand and carry out written or oral instructions. Must have at least one year experience in the area of Environmental Services in an institutional setting. Preferred Qualifications:
One or more years experience in the area of Environmental Services in a hospital or long term care setting. Special Notes:
The Long Island State Veterans Home is a tobacco-free environment. Tobacco products are strictly prohibited anywhere on our 25-acre campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises. The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date
, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from the Long Island State Veterans Home Employee Health Department, clear a background investigation; submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of the required license(s)/certificate(s), if applicable. Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer. The Long Island State Veterans Home
, located on the campus of Stony Brook University, is a 350-bed skilled nursing facility with a 40-slot adult day health care program dedicated to the care of honorably discharged veterans of the United States Armed Forces, their spouses and widows as well as Gold Star parents. Join an organization whose people make a difference every day and where commitment, compassion, initiative, and leadership are recognized and rewarded. We care for America's Heroes every day.
STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE ENCOURAGE PROTECTED VETERANS, INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES, WOMEN AND MINORITIES TO APPLY.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police Official Job Title:
US-NY-Stony BrookDepartment/Hiring Area:
Environmental Services-Long Island State Veterans HomeSchedule:
Per Diem Day Shift 7:00 am - 3:30 pmEnvironmental Services-Long Island State Veterans HomePosting Start Date:
Aug 9, 2018Posting End Date:
Aug 23, 2018, 11:59:00 PMSalary:
15.05 per hourSalary Grade:
Share this job with your network:
Learn more on Inside Higher Ed's College Page for University