Community Worker - University Extension - Sterling, IL (101086)
Community Worker - University of Illinois Extension
Units 1 & 4 Cluster - Sterling, IL (Whiteside County - Unit 4)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Under general supervision, this position will support the implementation of the University of Illinois Extension INEP initiated and directed by County Director. The Community Worker will work with local residents (youth and adults) identified for INEP programming to provide nutrition, food safety, physical activity, and food budgeting for low-income individuals.
Duties and Responsibilities
• In coordination with the supervisor, schedule educational activities for local residents (youth and adults) for intended INEP-Ed programming
• Collaborate with County Director, Educator, and others to identify needs of the intended audience
• In conjunction with partnering organizations, recruit program participants for classes/workshops in nutrition, food safety, physical activity and food budgeting
• Conduct basic nutrition, food safety, physical activity, and resource management classes/workshops and/or provide similar information for intended population at organizations/agencies within the target community
• Collaborate with specified Extension staff to identify potential community partners that serve low income families
• Utilize and disseminate "approved" nutrition education materials as provided/written by the state specialists or educators
• Refer INEP clients to other local agencies (FCRC, WIC, food pantries, etc.) and other Extension staff based upon additional needs and concerns
• Assist with conducting program evaluations to measure program impact
• Assist with the implementation of education activities for special short-term projects (WIC, youth summer camps, etc.)
• Help recruit and train volunteers as deemed necessary
• Maintain and/or assist with compiling of necessary records/documents to complete required reports, including INEP-Ed activity reports, contact reports, attendance sheets, program evaluations/impact, travel, and other required reporting
• Participate in local, regional, and statewide professional development opportunities and staff meetings, some which may be out of town
• Attend regional trainings with INEP-Ed Educators and other regional nutrition program staff
• Comply with all University of Illinois Extension and USDA policies and procedures in programs and employment
• Comply with all University of Illinois Extension Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity policies and guidelines in all aspects of Extension work; assists Unit staff with data collection for Affirmative Action, Gender, and Targeted reports
• Perform other duties as assigned
One year of experience (paid or unpaid) in work related to the job to be performed
For more information about this classification:
This Community Worker position is a 100%-time, benefits-eligible civil service position. The work schedule is to be determined (37.5 hours per week, 12 months per year). The minimum salary is $12.77 per hour.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at jobs.illinois.edu and an exam request form for EXT-COMM WRKR- STERLING (WHITESIDE). Please include all relevant work/volunteer experience coordinating educational and/or community programs or activities. This information should be included in the Experience portion of the application. Documents such as college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver's license, professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Please monitor your email (including spam or junk mail) for testing and other correspondence from [email protected] and [email protected].
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Staff Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or [email protected].
This is a security-sensitive position. Comprehensive background checks, including but not limited to a criminal conviction information check, a CANTS check, and a review of the Registered Sex Offender list, will be conducted.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit: University Extension
Title: Community Worker - University Extension - Sterling, IL (101086)
Open Date: 08/09/2018
Close Date: 08/13/2018
Organization Name: Unit 04